PDA

View Full Version : Prupose of actinics

Eldredge
01/13/2008, 06:49 PM
Are actinic lights just for "looks", or do they help the corals. I have a VHO ballast that can run 2 48" lamps. Right now I have one URI 03 actinic, and I think I am going to get another 48" lamp. I have 3 175 watt metal halides, and I want to be able to have some SPS and clams. I have one 15k Iwasaki, and I am seriously considering using this lamp for all three Mh's. I like a bright white/blue look, but just as importantly, I want good lighting for the reef. Would it be beneficial to add another 03 actinic, or should I add a 12k white actinic (will this make the overall look less blue?), or should I add a different VHO, or just leave it? Thanks for the help.

Entropy
01/13/2008, 07:45 PM
IMO it is just for looks because your Iwasaki has a pretty good range of spectrum. Adding actinics will change how everything looks in the tank and will probably change the color of some corals though.

Eldredge
01/13/2008, 07:55 PM
Thanks Rich. When you say change the colors of some corals, do you mean just while the actinics are on, or do you mean that the corals will develop different colors?