PDA

View Full Version : PVC Styled Overflow

roxy
01/13/2008, 10:42 PM
I can't seem to locate photos of something I've seen on RC recently and am wondering if someone can point me in the right direction.

What I saw was someone who drilled their tank with a pair of bulk heads and then connected the two outlets with some 90 degree elbows and a long horizontal piece of PVC with a slit cut in the top to provide some surface skimming. Sound familiar to anyone?

strayvoltage
01/13/2008, 11:09 PM
I have seen several threade where people have used PVC to make an in tank overflow here on RC. I don't remember for sure what thread they were under. I do know there are at least a couple of them in the nano tank forum. There is for sure one in there where the person drilled a 10 gallon tank and used PVC in that way to make the overflow.

I have a 210gal drilled tank I am woking on right now that doesn't have overflows, I plan on using 12" PVC to make my overflows.

Just what is it exactly that you want or need to know about doing this?

roxy
01/13/2008, 11:25 PM
Thanks Strayvoltage. The one I saw on RF was on a larger tank, maybe with 1'' bulkheads, and it was painted black with Krylon Fusion.

I'm mostly looking to see the photos again so I can see how far down the bulkheads were drilled.

I was set to drill my tank this morning but felt that my plan had them too far down in the tank. Maybe I have my internal plumbing a little different than the example I saw so I delayed the drilling until I could see the photos that got me on this path.

strayvoltage
01/14/2008, 12:03 AM
As for how far to drill the tank I am not sure. If I come across it again I will link it here for you. I hope you find it soon> I have seen the one you are talking about but sure can't remember where.

RocketEngineer
01/14/2008, 11:56 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1257783&perpage=25&pagenumber=2

roxy
01/14/2008, 09:23 PM
That was the one RocketEngineer, thanks.

It also led to another that some might find to be a useful reference.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=10226361#post10226361

I think I can make my design a little more trim by using some street 90's instead of standard slips.

strayvoltage
01/20/2008, 11:41 AM
After seeing the linked threads i see that I was not even close in knowing what you had in mind. I am glad I came back and went to the links. This is how I am going to do my overflow now