PDA

View Full Version : Which Clownfish?

carb850
01/13/2008, 10:43 PM
This is a two part question.

First question. I'm setting up a 90G tank and would like a pair of clowns. Appearance wise, I really like the contrasting colors. Not so much the Onyx clowns, but the darker reds and oranges with the vivid white stripes. I haven't seen many in person, but I'm thinking maybe the Maroons, Tomatoes, or Cinnamon. The only fish I currently have is a Yellow Clown Goby, Chromis, and a Algae Blenny. Other likely tank mates will be a Kole Tang, Foxface, firefish, some sand sifting goby, and perhaps an Angel fish. So, I guess you would call it a semi-aggressive to non-aggressive tank? Which clown would fit best? Are tank breed generally the best?

Second question. I want to get an Anemone for the clowns to host in. What I'm wondering is what order should I add the following; clownfish, anemone, and corals. I'm thinking Clowns first, Anemone second to let it find a good spot, then start to add corals. But that is just a guess. Does it really matter what order?

Thanks

adtravels
01/14/2008, 05:32 AM
indonesian a. melanopus, or the australian variety, beautiful, stay relatively small, vivid colours and either a white or orange tail respectively.

dc
01/14/2008, 09:40 AM
Well I had my anemone first, not sure that it makes a big difference, unless you get a real small anemone and the clowns are too rough. I'm simple and I like percs. I have a maroon, but she is a holy terror, and just gets worse with age. She was my first fish, and may end up my only fish. I've had her over 6 years, can't really part with her, it's a love hate thing. :D

Joe-ness
01/14/2008, 09:50 AM
I have a gold stripe maroon. Its a dark mahogany with a vibrant red around the fins. It would be hard to pair two up. Since, they are one of the most aggresive clowns...second only to the white stripe maroon. To pair two up, you would need to get a very large one and a very small one. Two of equal size will fight to the death. Tank bred fish are more hardy than wild caught.
With the nem, you should add that before ANY coral. They do mave and will kill the coral. Also, the Nem should be about three times the size of the fish.

carb850
01/14/2008, 01:25 PM
So the white stripe maroons are typically more aggressive than the yellow striped maroons? Dang :(

My LFS has a pair of yellow striped maroons. The female is huge. They said they have had this pair for several years and they don't show any agression except directly around their anemone. Both have a very rich color to them.

Is their a common name to the indonesian a. melanopus? How difficult are they to find. I found one picture on google and it was a very pretty fish.

osprey3883
01/14/2008, 02:53 PM
Hello,
You will want to let your tank age for a bit before you add the anemome, so I would imagine you could add that last. (if this is a newly set up tank)

Matt

carb850
01/14/2008, 03:08 PM
Approx. how long are you talking? No hurry, just wondering.

Half of my LR will be transfered from another tank, then the other half will be full cured as well. Then I'm also probably starting with the Agro-alive sand. I will test to be sure, but in the back of my head I'm thinking I could start slowing adding some fish in about 4 weeks. How much longer than that are you suggesting I wait before adding an Anemone?

I'm very early in my research, but so far I'm liking the Rose Bubble Tip so I want to make sure things are stable before adding. Those cost to much to act hastily