PDA

View Full Version : Lighting for 30" tall tank

geekreef_05
01/14/2008, 12:27 PM
Im looking for good DIY MH bulb/ballast suggestions for my new 110 gallon reef. Previously Ive bought halide fixtures and been stuck with crappy bulbs / replacement bulbs from coralife. And when I compare my 150HQI coralife halide to a reputable company halide i notice a huge difference. Any good suggestions on brands?

The tank is 30" tall, which I realize will translate into requiring a powerful light.

I'll be moving my 15 nano mixed reef (with SPS, LPS and a couple softies) into this tank, along with my larger FOWLR tank.

My goal is not to go overboard. I'll keep my SPS near the top and place other corals accordingly so that they receive their needed amount of light. I say this because I know everyone will suggest 400w halides, but Im hoping to get away with a set of 250w's instead.

discocarp
01/14/2008, 12:51 PM
I put 3x175w halides on my 265 (30" tall). PFO electronic ballasts and Iwasaki 15k bulbs. Its too early to tell how its going to work out (corals in for 1 month now), but it looks great and everything seems happy. Tank is LPS dominated.

geekreef_05
01/14/2008, 02:19 PM
thanks! thats some good info!