PDA

View Full Version : Need info on CurrentUSA Outer Orbit Pendant

mdelcomyn
01/14/2008, 12:51 PM
I'm looking to piecemeal together a MH and T5 lighting system.
Does anyone know anything about the CurrentUSA Outer Orbit Pendant MH's? The price on Marine Depot ($129) seems too good to be true. How is the light spread? I want decent spread, not a spotlight.
Also, can I put these in a DIY canopy along with a T5 retrofit?
Thanks!

DarG
01/14/2008, 01:55 PM
Compared to the quality reflectors like the Lumenarc or Lumenmax DE reflectors they are spotlights. The Outer Orbit HQI and T5 fixtures arent bad as combo lighting fixtures for narrower tanks, 20" or less. The 4 T5's really help with the limited spread of the small halide reflectors (same as is used in the pendants). But realistically, they really are limited reflectors and comparing them to the better reflectors, the comparisons of spotlight vs. floodlight offer a good example.

I would go with a better, larger pendant/reflector especially if the tank is over 18" wide. I have used the Outer Orbit as well as the Lumenmax. It is a very signifigant difference.

mdelcomyn
01/14/2008, 03:00 PM
Thanks, DarG
My tank is only 18" wide--how far do you think these will spread?
Also, what do you think about putting them in a DIY canopy so I can supplement them with some quality (Icecap) T5 reflectors? (I should note that the manual says don't do it, but I'm not sure that's not just a CYA statement).

DarG
01/14/2008, 04:06 PM
Internal ballast? ... thats probably why they are not intended for installation inside a canopy. You'd need to vent it really well to prevent overheating.

You'll get 18" spread, raised high enough you can probably get close to 2 x 2 foot spread with the outer edges being a bit underlit. maybe 20" with good intensity. There is a pretty intense hot spot from these relfectors, an issue with all undersized halide reflectors.