PDA

View Full Version : PLease help me set up my 1st. QT tank.

Cope
01/14/2008, 12:59 PM
I'm gonna go out and buy a little tank (10gal.) for my qt. I have some SW mixed and ready to go, should I just fill the qt with watter out of the DT?

How high should I raise the temp in the QT?

I read that 1.009 is the target SG for QT?

I should take a few days to get there? (1.009)

I think my Blue hippo has "velvet" will this procudere cure it?

I am gonna put all my fish in this little tank, with lots of pvc, I know this is to small but I dont wanna end up with a large tank for QT.
(in the future I will only be QT one at a time)

Any thing else?
Thanks
Cope

Cope
01/14/2008, 03:58 PM
21 hits and no replies, page two even.
what gives?

So got my ten gal up and running, the heater that I threw in sticks on.
The tank as a large chip on the corner, did not see untill got it home and full of watter.
I could not find my starry blenny?

so maby he get to stay in the DT?

If my fish survive this, nothing should be able to kill em!

Any one got any advice?
Cope

Rick55555
01/14/2008, 04:10 PM
I'm not exactly clear as to what your question is, but as I understand it, the following is my advice:

10 gallons may be too small a volume to put all your fish in. In my experience, Hippos tend to do poorly in small quarters, but depending on the other fish, you may be able to pull it off. (not recommended though).

I prefer treating with copper. If you do, treat the fish for two weeks maintaining the correct dosage in the QT for two weeks. Check the copper level 1-2 times per day.

Let the display tank run fallow for 4-8 weeks (without fish).

Use a heater and some sort of hang on the back, floss/sponge filter in the QT.

Rick55555
01/14/2008, 04:12 PM
Follow up:

You want to put all the "Fishies" listed in your signature/profile in a 10 gallon QT!?!?!

That's a great deal of life for a 10 gallon tank. I don't think they're going to survive for 4-8 weeks in such a small amount of water...

Cope
01/14/2008, 04:17 PM
I'm just looking for advice from others who successfully run QT tanks.
I do not have a copper test kit so thats one reason why I was gonna go hypo SG.

Look at my sig. all my fish a really small. The hippo is alittle over an inch. I also got two power heard runnin in the QT both with sponges, this was gonna be my only means of filtration? That and watter changes.

So the real questions are
Temp?
SG?

And thats about it?
Any advice that you folks think I should know?
This is a real turning point in my fish keeping, no more impulse buy fish, should corral my spending, now that I know that a new fish will wait for a month before getting seen by any one.
Thanks for all the help
Cope

Cope
01/14/2008, 04:22 PM
Any one got a good wat to ketch a starry blenny? This guys got great eye sight, and is fast!

I'm thinking putting the algae clip in the net and wait a day or two?

Pulling out the watter is not an option, plus I think he would just burry in the sand?
Thanks again
Cope

Cope
01/14/2008, 04:24 PM
yup............................. Not that I want to, It's just what needs to happen.

They are all in except the starry blenny, witch I cant catch. they dont look bad in there. or un happy yet?
Thanks again
Cope

Cope
01/14/2008, 04:28 PM
Rick you ever been to a LFS? seen how they keep live stock?

I'm not saying it's cool or nice but it should work.

Cope
01/14/2008, 05:28 PM
How long should it take me to reach the desired SG? I few days?
I start counting days once the target SG is reached right?

Sorry for comin off abrasive, this is a stressful time for me.
thanks again
Cope

MrSquid
01/14/2008, 05:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11599260#post11599260 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Cope
Rick you ever been to a LFS? seen how they keep live stock?

I'm not saying it's cool or nice but it should work.

Most LFS's aren't set up as individual tanks. What appears to be a 20 or 40g tank filled with fish is most likely part of a much larger system. The store I worked in had 40 breeders as their tanks and they were all plumbed together for a 2,000g system - running through a huge sump (wet/dry in those days - about 100 ft³ of bioballs) and a 6' high skimmer with ozone.

And the thing to remember is that the vast majority of LFS's have one simple goal - to move their product. Having a full tank catches the eyes of newbies. And many don't care if their fish do well long-term (if they're even doing well short-term) as long as they make it out their door.

Just because something LOOKS doable on the surface in a LFS, doesn't mean it should be duplicated at home. At least not with any huge expectation of long-term success.

Personally I'd set up at least one more 10g with an established sponge filter just to take some of the load off your first one. But unless you have a sponge filter ready to go, that's not a great answer...

Good luck to you and your QTing. :fish1: Much respect to you for seeing that QT is important!! :thumbsup:

Cope
01/14/2008, 05:51 PM
Thanks MR. Squid!

Yeah your right, the LFS dose keep large fish in small tanks tho, even if it is part of a larger system. The size of the watter volume has nothing to do with keeping a large fish in a small tank? (EX. my LFS has a yellow tang in a 20 GAL. (the fish is huge 6"? ))

I think all my fish are small and if I keep up on the watter changes, I hope to manage?
Thanks again
Cope

MrSquid
01/14/2008, 05:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11599926#post11599926 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Cope
Thanks MR. Squid!

Yeah your right, the LFS dose keep large fish in small tanks tho, even if it is part of a larger system. The size of the watter volume has nothing to do with keeping a large fish in a small tank? (EX. my LFS has a yellow tang in a 20 GAL. (the fish is huge 6"? ))

I think all my fish are small and if I keep up on the watter changes, I hope to manage?
Thanks again
Cope

Your fight will be with the bioload. Keep up on H2O changes, be sure to have adequate filtration, don't overfeed and keep your fingers crossed. And be sure to give the little buggers lots of PVC pieces and parts to hide in too - that'll help on any stress induced by "personal interaction". ;)

I personally think you've got an uphill battle ahead of you - but if you do your part, you'll greatly increase your odds.

ledford1
01/14/2008, 06:16 PM
For good reading on setting up a QT: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/sp/feature/index.php

Cope
01/14/2008, 10:48 PM
So any one got advice on salt level? how long it should take to get there?Will the treatment be affective against velvet?
Thanks
Cope

Cope
01/14/2008, 11:06 PM
The lamest yet most beneficial tank ever?
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj256/cope44/DSC00282.jpg
:)
Cope