PDA

View Full Version : Why the "dracula" name for goby?

eaglesrx
01/14/2008, 01:13 PM
Hello,

I'm trying to do read-up on this dracula goby, Stonogobiops dracula. Below is a pic that I'm inquiring about:

http://www.pbase.com/clippo/image/46161122

One LFS worker the other day stated he thinks the name originates from the fact that this dracula goby has teeth, similar to fangs. After watching him eat, he does seem to have 2 fangs on the inside of his mouth.

However, I was reading Schultz's article in Reefkeeping magazine which states that all Stonogobiops have, "... "vomerine teeth." These are teeth that are present on the vomer, a thin bone along the roof of the mouth.".

So, do yasha and the Highfin or Blackray Shrimp Goby, have these fangs, similar to the "dracula" goby?

Why then, is the dracula goby, called a dracula goby?

thanks!

JM68
01/14/2008, 01:28 PM
no fangs, i have one and he is always opening his mouth trying to be a tough guy when i get really close to the tank to look at him and he definitely doesn't have fangs. i'm guessing it has something to do with the blood red coloring in their stripes or possibly the red stripe through the eyes.

eaglesrx
01/14/2008, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the info.

So, do you think the dracula goby's more aggressive? or similar to the yasha?

JM68
01/14/2008, 02:27 PM
i don't think they r any more aggressive than any others. and they have all the same care requirements as all other shrimp gobies. its pretty much just the price tag that is different when it comes to these guys. and i think they look a lot cooler.