PDA

View Full Version : What do you know about the white freckled tang (Acanthurus maculiceps)

Charlie's Angel
01/14/2008, 02:54 PM
I beleive my LFS has one. They claim it is a ringtail blochi but I beleive it is a white freckled. What do you guys know about it? Can't find much online? I believe AcroporaNut has one as I recall in the tank of the month a few months back.

Thanks

jmaneyapanda
01/14/2008, 03:15 PM
I have one as well. There is always a lot of confusion on the identitiy of this fish. It will almost absolutely have easily visible spots on its face. What exactly do you want to know? here is an older pic of mine after it went into my display.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/123758maculiceps2sized_pg.jpg

Charlie's Angel
01/14/2008, 03:30 PM
That is what the LFS has...how large do they get and how mean / passive...I have a mimic and fowleri along with a regal, purple, kole and naso in my 375 and want to add him....what do you think?

jmaneyapanda
01/14/2008, 03:37 PM
well, mines name is "mellow yellow" because he doesnt care about anything or anyone. Every once in a while, he'll run off the chevron, but may cardinals are meaner than he is. they get BIG, and mine eats a lot of substrate (i think he's contantly eating off the floor). I dont know how well it would go with a fowleri and one of these though. They are very similar.

Charlie's Angel
01/14/2008, 04:39 PM
I know...I think I will just pass, but I couldn't believe it when I saw it in the store. How much do they usually run...this one was $100.00.

thor32766
01/14/2008, 08:40 PM
usually 300-350. 100 is a steal!!!!

tangers
01/14/2008, 08:50 PM
Excellent deal if it is a spotcheek. search acanthurus maculiceps on the web, that might help you more. I had one for a while until we moved, and I lost him during the move. I would get another one in a heartbeat and definately at $100!

Charlie's Angel
01/14/2008, 10:55 PM
That is what I thought...I think I am going to go get him tomorrow...can't pass up that deal...thor...how do you think he will do with a fowleri, mimic, purple, small regal, kole and naso and soon a yellow...this is my 375...might need to upgrade down the road.

jmaneyapanda
01/15/2008, 07:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11602479#post11602479 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Charlie's Angel
That is what I thought...I think I am going to go get him tomorrow...can't pass up that deal...thor...how do you think he will do with a fowleri, mimic, purple, small regal, kole and naso and soon a yellow...this is my 375...might need to upgrade down the road.

Yes, that is quite a deal. The price tag on mine was about $300. But, as we discussed previous, you may want reconsider with the fowleri. I cant say for sure, but it would be a shame to have them go at it, and lose a fish just because "it was a deal". Just my opinion, though.

Charlie's Angel
01/15/2008, 02:21 PM
I agree and have reconsidered. No sense in risking the health of a fish or other fish b/c of a deal. It is hard to pass up, but the health of the fish are the most important. Hopefully, the spotcheek will go to a good home.

jmaneyapanda
01/15/2008, 03:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11606407#post11606407 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Charlie's Angel
I agree and have reconsidered. No sense in risking the health of a fish or other fish b/c of a deal. It is hard to pass up, but the health of the fish are the most important. Hopefully, the spotcheek will go to a good home.

No, you misunderstood. Ditch the fowleri and get the maculiceps!!:D

Just kidding- I think you made a wise choice. I have had to make that terrible decision many times, and pass up fish that I swore I would never pass up. It is certainly the higher road, though.

Charlie's Angel
01/15/2008, 04:36 PM
I hear you...can't ditch the Fowleri it is my show fish. I think it is beautiful. Too bad I don't have a 600 gallon system. Hopefully my next tank will be that big.

billyzbear
04/08/2015, 04:43 PM
I know this is an old thread.
Just how big do these get? I have a 150g that is 6' long.
I was thinking on getting a small one.
From what I have read, they get 8" some say 12". So which is it?
I only have a small yellow so can be the big fish.

Dmorty217
04/08/2015, 05:15 PM
They will get to orange shoulder sizes so 10" easy

billyzbear
04/08/2015, 06:32 PM
A little too big for my tank, bummer.

billyzbear
04/08/2015, 06:49 PM
OT-I should be looking at tangs that get max 8"?

d-man
04/08/2015, 09:22 PM
Lol. Def a bigger guy.
Look at any ctenochaetus tangs, they all stay smaller.

SoloChromis
04/09/2015, 05:47 PM
My only experience with this species is when I took care of one in the 3,500g reef pond/coral retail tank we had at the LFS where I worked, he was one of the very many tangs in this tank, but had been there for nearly the longest. He got very large (10"+), but appeared to have a relatively slow growth rate, even in this massive of a system, and never caused any problems with the other fish and wasn't as spastically active as the devil's spawn of a sohal we had in there or the massive bariene tang. I'm sure you're already aware of the price tag on these tangs, which is normally $300+ from what I've seen. A cool tang for sure, and we had at least a dozen regulars who made offers for it every time they came in. Good luck :spin1:

billyzbear
04/09/2015, 06:44 PM
It's a tough decision. I have a buddy that can order a small one and could keep it for a couple of years. After awhile you know when they have to go?
I had a desjardini for a couple of years or so. Got him small. He started getting more aggressive and swimming all over the place. I was sad to see him go. If I had room for a 240g...
It's next to impossible to keep 2-3 purple and or yellows together?