PDA

View Full Version : swamp cooler/chiller?

maddmatt02
01/14/2008, 06:11 PM
was just thinking, out here where I live it is fairly dry, so swamp coolars are what everyone uses, water is dripped through floss looking stuff in the sides and a squirrel cage fan pulls air through it and blows it into the house.

what if I had some of the water that is heading to the sump, drip through something and have a fan blowing through it? I dont think I will ever have a huge problem. it does get pretty warm here in the summer but never that hot, and if it does im sure my wife will have the AC on, but just in case I was wondering if this would do anything. total there will probably only be about 20 gallons (20H tank, 10 sump and then minus all the space from rock and skimmer and stuff).

BeanAnimal
01/14/2008, 06:19 PM
Simple fans blowing over the sump will provide the same effect.

You get over 8,000 BTU of cooling per gallon evaporated.

ShipOFools
01/14/2008, 06:29 PM
I think you would find your salinty bouncing all around as the h20 evaporates the salt and minerals will be left behind.

BeanAnimal
01/14/2008, 06:37 PM
Of course you need to make up for the evaporation.

You can do this with an ATO or manually.

20 gallons of water is a little over 166 pounds of water. It takes 1 BTU to raise 1 gallon of water 1 degree F.

There are 8 pints in a gallon. You get over 1000 BTU of cooling per pint.

That pint would equate to almost 6 degrees of cooling for that small tank.

Konadog
01/14/2008, 09:22 PM
They make them already, the Deltec Eco Cooler (http://www.deltecusa.us/ecocoolers/index.php)
A friend of mine had one and it worked great. You do need an auto top off of some sorts, as you will go through a lot of water, but it's way cheaper than a chiller to operate! Only down side is they need to be run outside. Putting that much humidity in the house or garage probably isn't a good idea.

maddmatt02
01/14/2008, 09:31 PM
how long would toilet tank hardware last in saltwater. we have a toilet in mexico running off of saltwater for years, but its saltwater from a well a little ways back from shore, so its not as salty as the aquarium water I bet. I was thinkgin of maybe putting a toilet tank float/neck into the sump and have a container of water above the sump plumbed to the tank filler. Im guessing it will last a while bacause freshwater will be whats going through it, but it will be surrounded by saltwater. our toilet down there is surrounded and fed by saltwater. or is there already a cheap way of DIY ATO

BeanAnimal
01/14/2008, 09:39 PM
A resevoir with an all plastic float valve is a much better choice. Kent makes a float valve that is ok, but I prefer the model that most of the reputable RO/DI vendors sell. Maybe $15.

maddmatt02
01/14/2008, 09:41 PM
yeah, just checked it out and look at those price tags

Konadog
01/14/2008, 09:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11601864#post11601864 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by maddmatt02
yeah, just checked it out and look at those price tags If your talking about the Deltec's, yes they are pricey!

maddmatt02
01/14/2008, 09:50 PM
hey bean, any links?

BeanAnimal
01/14/2008, 10:05 PM
http://www.thefilterguys.biz/accessories.htm

http://www.thefilterguys.biz/images/FLOATVALVE.jpg