PDA

View Full Version : Cyano - Getting rid of it

cabbage0709
01/15/2008, 10:17 AM
So ive cut my lights out, planning on keeping em off for another day or two. Should this do the trick considering i wake up in the morning and usually find the cyano recessing a little, only to see it back in full bloom mid-day? Tested my phosphates and they read like 0-5. I figured they would be higher, but i guess that my cyano is eating them?

Help me out with some advice plz..

-Sven

an411
01/15/2008, 10:24 AM
I am in the same boat my tank looks great in the morning then by 6pm when I get home there is cyano all over my sand. I am adding my phosban reactor tonight. I will follow up and let you know if this takes care of my problem cause my phosphates are a little high and I think that the cyano is also taking in the rest. I have also been cutting down on the feeding. I think that I may start feeding twice a day but less each time so there is not much debris that gets stuck in the rocks and what not. Also i have been doing large and more frequent water changes. HTH

MalHavoc
01/15/2008, 10:29 AM
water changes, phosphate removal, cut back on feeding, etc. Stay away from chemical quick fixes and be patient with it. Also, try increasing flow in the tank.

minispider
01/15/2008, 10:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11604666#post11604666 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by an411
I am in the same boat my tank looks great in the morning then by 6pm when I get home there is cyano all over my sand. I am adding my phosban reactor tonight. I will follow up and let you know if this takes care of my problem cause my phosphates are a little high and I think that the cyano is also taking in the rest. I have also been cutting down on the feeding. I think that I may start feeding twice a day but less each time so there is not much debris that gets stuck in the rocks and what not. Also i have been doing large and more frequent water changes. HTH

I have a phosban reactor and my phosphates are almost untraceable and still get cyano... :confused:

Ismellikefish
01/15/2008, 10:38 AM
Like MalHavoc said, You need to find the source of the phosphate and not try quick fixes on the removal of the cyno.

There are a few diffrent things you can also look at:
Rinse your food before you put it in the tank if your using frozens.
Also check your topoff water > rodi? If yes, do you test the TDS of it?
Water changes?

Once you stop adding Phates to the tank the cyno will cut back by itself.

minispider
01/15/2008, 10:39 AM
....and as for flow...well let me tell you, is a hurricane inside my tank and I have some powerheads pointing down and still, cyano is there.

Ismellikefish
01/15/2008, 10:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11604719#post11604719 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by minispider
I have a phosban reactor and my phosphates are almost untraceable and still get cyano... :confused:

You almost don't even need a phosphate test kit. If you are getting tons of unwanted algea, you can tell you have some in your tank, but still get a 0 reading.

You are adding more than you are taking out. ( the algea is eating it all, thus you get a reading of 0 )

Look at above postes to help reduce the amount you are adding to the system.

minispider
01/15/2008, 10:48 AM
I still think is not phosphates...mine are almost 0 and I have a dedicated multiphase RO-DI system with 0 tds, so i know is not the water either, as for food i clip nori in the morning for my tangs and another one in the evening when I get home (2"x5" piece of seaweed) which it gets eaten in about 10 mins. I rinse my frozen cubes in RO-DI water before putting it in the tank. I feed one cube a day for my 4 damsels, blue hippo and my maroon clown and it gets eaten in less than a minute so is not left over food, plus I skim heavy just to be sure and still get cyano. :mad2: and I hate nuking the tank but I will have to do it again. I'm going to wait another week see if it disapears, if not , time to nuke it.

minispider
01/15/2008, 10:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11604786#post11604786 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ismellikefish
You almost don't even need a phosphate test kit. If you are getting tons of unwanted algea, you can tell you have some in your tank, but still get a 0 reading.

You are adding more than you are taking out. ( the algea is eating it all, thus you get a reading of 0 )

Look at above postes to help reduce the amount you are adding to the system.

0 algae in my tank. Never had a problem with algae, not in my rocks or sand.

cabbage0709
01/15/2008, 11:05 AM
I usually just grab a small cup and a splash of tank water and let my cubes disolve into that water and dump it in. Can over feeding produce cyano or just the crap thats in it when frozen?

dileggi
01/15/2008, 11:21 AM
I had the cyano problem myself as well. It's quite normal for a new tank cycle and usually seems to happen somewhere between 2-4 months.

I basically blasted it with a turkey baster and used a net to scoop out what floated away.

I did water changes weekly, added a skimmer and started using phosban media in my sump...(no reactor used, but only b/c I didn't have the room for one.)

My cyano really started clearing up in about two weeks. I should also note that I had used some red slime remover, but after I used it, I heard that it should not be used unless your tank is over 6 months old, so I only used it once. I'm not sure how much the one time use helped in clearing it up.