PDA

View Full Version : Chances 0% ?

iwishtofish
01/15/2008, 12:14 PM
Well, one of those classic moments: Temp acclimated my new orange spotted goby for a little bit, then went to open the bag to roll down the edges - lost grip on bag and goby went carpet surfing with the store water. So, of course, I freaked, scooped him up in a net, and threw him in the tank.

While in despair, I tested a drop of the store water on my refractometer. 1.0215. My tank water: 1.025.

Obviously, he doesn't look well. :( Still breathing, though, and moves from spot to spot very occasionally.

Are his chances zero percent?

sixspeed
01/15/2008, 12:17 PM
He will most likely be fine. A lot of the species we have in our tanks are a lot more tolerance of chances of water parameters than we think. Give him a day or two and he should be back to normal. Just keep an eye on him and see if he eats, if he starts eating within the next few days he will be fine.

tydtran
01/15/2008, 12:25 PM
Also, do what you can to keep any aggressiv fish in the tank from bothering him. Lights out for a few days may be helpful. Good luck.

iwishtofish
01/15/2008, 12:41 PM
Thanks sixspeed and tydtran. I just have one other fish, a flame angel, and he didn't seem to bother my little lawnmower blenny a while back, even when it was sick.

The goby is still alive, although he was moving his lips really fast like he was talking. I hate to think what he was saying to me.

DawnOctopus
01/15/2008, 12:56 PM
Poor thing! I hope that he is okay!

iwishtofish
01/15/2008, 01:05 PM
Me too, DawnOctopus! He is starting to get a little bit more active now - he is moving his eyes and repositioning himself. There was a scary moment, though. A nassarius snail (one of those ghouls that sense the dying) was about 7-8 inches behind him for a while, sniffing the water. It moved on, though.

Even if he survives, I am wondering what kind of permanent physical damage can occur from this. I guess I'll have to read up on it.

seapug
01/15/2008, 01:30 PM
I've scooped up a fish that's been flopping around on the floor for longer than that and tossed it back in the tank on more than one occasion. It'll be fine unless the floor was wet with bleach or carpet cleaner. As far as the fast breathing goes, well, you too would probably be breathing a little fast if you were 2 inches long and fell 4 feet onto a floor, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

iwishtofish
01/15/2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, seapug! I'm feeling pretty bad about it. I'm not too worried about the surfing - more the fact that it wasn't acclimated at all. Osmotic, pH shock, etc.

I'm pretty surprised that the fish has started to actively sift sand, and even move small rocks around. It still stays in the same corner of the tank, though, and doesn't try to hide.

At least things look like they are going in the right direction, although I'm sure he could crash at any time!

iwishtofish
01/15/2008, 02:51 PM
What tenacity and personality this fish has! He has come back to life, after laying twitching for about an hour. Now he is continuously excavating a big hole under my live rock (rock is resting on the bottom, fortunately!).

Hopefully no major damage done and he will eat soon!

Thanks to all who tuned in to my latest crisis. :rolleye1:

LockeOak
01/15/2008, 02:52 PM
I'm inclined to say not to worry about it... fish, as the most complex organisms we keep in our tanks, have pretty good mechanisms for adapting to stresses (skin, for one). That's the principle behind FOWLR tanks, I guess... fish are often tolerant of conditions that would kill other organisms. That isn't an excuse for keeping fish in bad conditions, of course.

iwishtofish
01/15/2008, 03:02 PM
True, LockeOak, it's not an excuse. And I'm hoping nobody minimizes the importance of acclimation just because my fish has so far survived such a jolt.

iwishtofish
01/16/2008, 12:56 PM
Wow, not only still alive, but sifting sand furiously and making quite a mess of things. I had to add a filter sock! :) I had no idea so much junk had collected in my sand bed!

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb113/bjdoyle64/Goby1.jpg

The_Browns
01/16/2008, 01:20 PM
He is looking good

DawnOctopus
01/16/2008, 01:23 PM
Oh he's comepletely adorable! I'm glad that he is doing well now.

iwishtofish
01/16/2008, 01:30 PM
Thanks, The_Browns and DawnOctopus. He is busy getting his revenge. My tank is pretty cloudy, there is silt blowing everywhere, and I am waiting to test for a nitrate spike. He goes through some serious sand! :eek2:

[added:]

Oh, and I don't think he is the orange spotted goby I thought he was when I bought him. I think he is an orange spot sleeper goby (aka diamond watchman goby)!! Oh my.

iwishtofish
01/23/2008, 11:03 AM
Well, all is turning out OK now, I think....

The sand-storm of fine detritus is about over, my flame angel seems a little less interested in bugging the goby (they did quarrel a bit today), and the goby has finally started taking mysis out of the water column. Most of the big hurtles are over, as long as the fish gets enough nutrients. Maybe I should soak the mysis in some kind of vitamin solution? Any suggestions?

Definitely a fish to plan for. I think my tank is too small for this fish to survive off my sand bed alone. Goby buyers beware: the Orange Spotted shrimp goby and the Orange Spotted sleeper goby are not the same fish! :)