PDA

View Full Version : What is the best Nano?

pdash
01/15/2008, 07:55 PM
I have decided to set up a SPS nano with one maybe two fish in it. I was thinking around 20-30 gallons was just wondering what was the best all in one type package one could get, or would it be better to go with a completely custom setup. Any advice or suggestions would be welcome.

Illuminati
01/15/2008, 08:59 PM
I have a Nanocube 24 with the Sunpod 150, if your looking for a similar system you would want the Aquapod 24g that can come with the Sunpod, I bought the nanocube with the stock hood and bought the sunpod after a couple years.

Other options:
28g Nanocube with HQI built into the hood (Just bought this, replacing the current tank with this one).

Cadlights has a 25g with MH lighting as well as T5's, I think.

Finnex 30g M-Tank comes with the 150w fixture.

Red Sea Max - Some people are keeping some easier SPS in there but it has PC's, not MH and is $$$$$$.

People are going to argue that "custom" setups (Basically a 20g AGA tank) will be cheaper. That is true but it's all about looks.

Where in IL are you at? Tons of Reef Clubs in the state (Champaign, Bloomington, Joliet, Chicago, Springfield all have thier own clubs).

pdash
01/15/2008, 09:34 PM
Hey, thanks for the reply. I'm a bit outside of Peoria about 45 mins from Bloomington; a heads up on any local reef clubs would be awesome and advice about any great LFS (all the ones I've been to aren't real great.) Been going to a LFS that is a friend of the families and don't have the heart to tell him his stock isn't real impressive. Def going with a HM, the main disadvantage I see with most of the pre-fabricated nanos is the lack of a refugium, was curious about how easily one could add a refugium that is contained within the already existing overflow sump type area. thnx.

Illuminati
01/15/2008, 10:18 PM
Some tanks like the Finnex and Cadlights have spaces for fuge's.
The Aquapods and Nanocubes don't.

As for reef clubs:

Bloomington (They have an individual forum that they are much more active in)

http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=448

CIMA - Champaign area but also some people from Bloomington and Peoria

http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=110

Not sure of many good LFS's in your area, born in the Urbana area and now live around Chicago. Chicago has some nice one's if your up for a drive some day, not much around Champaign, Sail Fin in Champaign always had a decent fish selection though they were mainly freshwater from what I remember.

racksteris
01/15/2008, 10:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11609617#post11609617 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Illuminati
I have a Nanocube 24 with the Sunpod 150, if your looking for a similar system you would want the Aquapod 24g that can come with the Sunpod, I bought the nanocube with the stock hood and bought the sunpod after a couple years.

Other options:
28g Nanocube with HQI built into the hood (Just bought this, replacing the current tank with this one).

Cadlights has a 25g with MH lighting as well as T5's, I think.

Finnex 30g M-Tank comes with the 150w fixture.

Red Sea Max - Some people are keeping some easier SPS in there but it has PC's, not MH and is $$$$$$.

People are going to argue that "custom" setups (Basically a 20g AGA tank) will be cheaper. That is true but it's all about looks.

Where in IL are you at? Tons of Reef Clubs in the state (Champaign, Bloomington, Joliet, Chicago, Springfield all have thier own clubs).

=====People are going to argue that "custom" setups (Basically a 20g AGA tank) will be cheaper. That is true but it's all about looks.====

Custom Setups can be cheaper NOT will be cheaper.
All-in-one are cheap that's why everyone buys them, try putting together a decent custom setup and you see it's a lot more then the all-in-one you get from aquapod nanocube & biocube. Finnex & Cadlights are more like custom tanks.

racksteris
01/15/2008, 10:47 PM
I think it might be just me but the look that everyone like, the all-in-one look from aquapod nanocube biocube. The style of the tank's look like there from the 90's. Finnex Cadlights Solana those are KOOL LOOKING TANKS.