PDA

View Full Version : BK with Ozone?

nava405
01/16/2008, 01:57 AM
i'm going to get my BK300 this friday, however, i'm not sure if i should run ozone with this expansive skimmer. There are 2 choices, one is that i can just injecto ozone in one of those cheap ASM skimmer, and leave the BK alone, two, just inject ozone into the BK and forget about it.

So i need some " first hand" experience for those using BK and Ozone.

how long you have you been running ozone with your bk? what's the dosage? how many hours a day? any problem with melting the acrylic or fading of color? thankx.

jdieck
01/16/2008, 02:49 AM
The acrylic will not be a problem, the most likely critical parts to check for is the pump(s) housing and impeller(s) and all flange seals and O rings. O rings and seals can be replaced with ones made out of compatible silicon but regarding the pump you will need to check with the manufacturer.

FunkieReefJunkie
01/16/2008, 03:21 AM
BK400 internal user. I've used ozone on it since the beginning and can assure you Klaus built it ozone safe. I just took my ozone off four days ago because I've been carbon dosing. Carbon dosing and ozone don't compliment one another. I would run your BK without the ozone for a good month or so to get a good feel for what it's capable of doing on it's own. Turn on the controller to watch the ORP but set the ozone for zero. Ozone does hamper skimming particularly with high dosing. I know your ready to see your poop extraction machine make some serious poop and if you hooked up the ozone right from the start it might frustrate you. :lol: Seriously though your gonna love the BK the moment you plug it in.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/FunkieReefJunkie/IMG_4193.jpg

nava405
01/16/2008, 06:00 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11611407#post11611407 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FunkieReefJunkie
BK400 internal user. I've used ozone on it since the beginning and can assure you Klaus built it ozone safe. I just took my ozone off four days ago because I've been carbon dosing. Carbon dosing and ozone don't compliment one another. I would run your BK without the ozone for a good month or so to get a good feel for what it's capable of doing on it's own. Turn on the controller to watch the ORP but set the ozone for zero. Ozone does hamper skimming particularly with high dosing. I know your ready to see your poop extraction machine make some serious poop and if you hooked up the ozone right from the start it might frustrate you. :lol: Seriously though your gonna love the BK the moment you plug it in.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/FunkieReefJunkie/IMG_4193.jpg

yah, i'll still keep my ozone running with my current skimmer, and maybe wait for a few weeks till my BK breaks in. During the break in period, i should have the outlet at full open spot right? or it doesn't matter ?

FunkieReefJunkie
01/16/2008, 09:11 AM
Nozzel black dots aligned. Keep the wedge pipe open (two black dots lined up)for a couple of weeks, but to get the height of the foam up halfway in the cup close it some. Raise the outlet pipe to the point where the foam gets about halfway up the neck then do your fine adjustment with the angle of the pipe.

Do your tinkering slowly. As in every couple of days. Quick tip for easy breaking in: Run and clean out your skimmer with warm water containing swimming pool de-chlorinator in a rubbermaid for 15-20 minutes. Makes a big difference.

If you have more questions hang out at the zeovit forum and look under protein skimmers. Lots of BK users with experience.