PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Gone Wild

johnstelting
01/16/2008, 08:07 AM
Help me before my wife forces me to get out of hobby.

I have a CORALIFE SUPER SKIMMER that seems to be wacky. It's a hang on the back of my tank and usually runs normal. But for no reason usually about once a month it starts sucking up water, fills up the collection cup and starts overflowing, getting my stand wet and then the floor.

Question..... what could cause this? I cannot seem to figure it out. It doesn't happen after water is added, no new rock has been added, nothing has changed in the tank.... It just seems to happen for no sensible reason.

Question.... there is a small hole in the collection cup lid..... should I put a small tube into the collection cup and back into the tank? Will this solve the overflow onto the stand and floor?

Thanks

John

TheReefKeeper
01/16/2008, 08:10 AM
I would put a hole in the bottom of the collection cup then into a pail with a hose NOT back into the tank. It sounds like you have your skimmer set too high water level inside the skimmer turn it down.less water more bubbles.

luke33
01/16/2008, 08:21 AM
This is just a coralife for you. They have a very poor design as where the riser neck goes up all the way to the top of the collection cup......you could file it down an inch and the water will go back into the skimmer body as this is something even the seaclown managed to design. Or like mentioned above a hole in the 3/4 up the collection cup with a tube back to the tank will work as well.