PDA

View Full Version : Lighting question.

riverfishguy
01/16/2008, 08:40 AM
Im part way through converting my 90g fowlr to reef and im wondering what corals I can keep with the lighting I now have. The strip is a current usa orbit extreme 4 x 130 watt PC. (520w total) I am planning on mainly softies but would like to keep a few montipora species. I was told it would be ok to keep these as they are among the hardiest of sps. I have about 50x an hr turnover so water flow shouldnt be an issue.

On a side note does anyone know of a good compact protein skimmer? (no more then 5" thick) The AquaC remora pro that was recomended to me is junk and needs to be replaced.

Avi
01/16/2008, 09:00 AM
Your lighting should be all right for your intended coral. They would even be sufficient for the montipora that you would like to have if you keep them high in the tank.

As for the skimmer....Could you be more specific about where you want to place it?

riverfishguy
01/16/2008, 09:15 AM
The skimmer needs to be HOB due to the tank not being drilled.
Glad to know I can keep montipora's. The light is extremely bright. Would have used halides but with no sump the heat from MH would most likely be to much to get rid of. The orbit was the next best thing.

By the way what are you considering high up in the tank? The light is about 1 inch above the tank frame. Maybe 3.5 total from waters surface. Will the montipora need to be right up near the surface?