PDA

View Full Version : To DSB or Not to DSB

dsn112
01/16/2008, 10:09 AM
Hey, I am setting up my new 70g and am debating on whether to do a DSB or a shallow bed. I plan on doing a DSB in my fuge for sure.

If I do a dsb, I need a larger clean up crew. It also makes more to clean for me.

What are your expieriences? Also which sand to use for this. I plan on buying dry reef sand and seeding it with ls. How many lbs per gallon will help me achieve this 4" depth.

What type of sand do you reccommend for this? I have a 30lb bag of the caribsea sugar sized, and a 40lb bag of the reef grade seaflor sand. Can I mix these.

Also who here thinks doing just an inch or so would be better?

Thanks All!
Dave

mash2k
01/16/2008, 10:39 AM
Maybe you try a SSB in your display and put your DSB in a rubbermaid container or something similar and place it in your sump. Less mess that way. Has worked for me.

dsn112
01/16/2008, 10:47 AM
My fuge section is about 13" wide. I was planning on doing a 4" sand bed in it. 13Lx12"w and 4" deep. Im thinking about putting my LR in and funneling my sand around the rock.

mash2k
01/16/2008, 11:42 AM
That 's a technique for sure. I usually put my DSB in a container inside the sump and use rock rubble for the fuge mainly because it enables me to remove the DSB at any time and it is not as messy.