PDA

View Full Version : cyclop eeze

rmw4547
01/16/2008, 12:41 PM
I just spent a small fortune to have some frozen cyclop eeze sent to my house. The color of the Cyclops are quite impressive when you compare them to other frozen Cyclops. The fish and corals seem to like them to. I would like to hear any one who has long term experience with this product. Does it live up to the manufactures claims

acrodave
01/16/2008, 12:46 PM
I have used it and liked it but have never used long term

MrSpiffy
01/16/2008, 01:19 PM
The thing with Cyclop-Eeze is that it's not a manufactured product. It's really a really tiny type of 'pod that's bursting with nutrition, especially compared to brine shrimp. I haven't used it all that long, but I have the freeze-dried version and my fish love it. Although, the freeze-dried version is a pain because it floats from the lack of moisture. I usually soak it first. Because it's so small, it's great for all smaller fish, corals (even filter-feeders), and other stuff. Just make sure you turn off your pumps and stuff so it isn't skimmed out before it's eaten.

To sum things up, it's a highly-nutritious food source for carnivorous/omnivorous inhabitants of your tank.

There are other great foods, too. I hear DT's Oyster Eggs is supposed to be awesome, too. Especially for filter-feeders.

You can always mix these tiny foods into a homemade frozen fish food to add nutritional value.

fishysteve
01/16/2008, 02:03 PM
I've been using it for a few years. What are the long term claims that they make?

rmw4547
01/16/2008, 02:20 PM
that it will give your fish and corals better color, health ect.

::PixelFish::
01/16/2008, 02:32 PM
I couldn't find Cyclop-Eeze locally so I had to settle for the cubed Cyclop.

The cyclop looks weaksauce compared to the original and my corals and fish seem to prefer the original. I'm not sure about the claims of better color and health but they sure go mad for the stuff.

Runfrumu
01/16/2008, 02:50 PM
my fish all go nuts when I just put the cyclops in the tank.

I once had the cyclopeze brand flakes, but nothing at all in the tank would even touch it, it would just float around and the fish would stear clear of it so I had to fish it back out with a net.

Anemone
01/16/2008, 03:07 PM
Cyclopeeze now has a "pelleted" version. It doesn't float for too long on the surface before it begins to sink, and doesn't sink too quickly. My fish go crazy for the stuff.

Kevin

Gdevine
01/16/2008, 03:22 PM
Cyclop-eeze is one of the most nutritious foods you can feed your fish, corals and all other types of filter feeders. In fact, I soak it along with some baby brine shrimp and DT's in some Reef Solution and then target feed my cup corals and they react in a huge way.

Great food source for all things living in your tank IMO!!!!

tami1024
01/16/2008, 03:32 PM
I mix cyclo peeze with mysis and feed it to my sun and blk sun coral. I also mix brine with cyclop peeze and feed it to the rest of my coral and my fish. They love it!

MrSpiffy
01/16/2008, 03:34 PM
Gdevine, do you mean your pagoda cup corals? Or a different cup coral.? I've got a pagoda cup that's been looking a bit unhappy. Maybe I just need to feed it.

Gdevine
01/16/2008, 04:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11615028#post11615028 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MrSpiffy
Gdevine, do you mean your pagoda cup corals? Or a different cup coral.? I've got a pagoda cup that's been looking a bit unhappy. Maybe I just need to feed it.

I was referring to the Tubastraea Cup Coral. But try target feeding your pagoda they do eat ya know and I am willing to bet it's starving.

Gdevine
01/16/2008, 05:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11615028#post11615028 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MrSpiffy

Here you go; note the last sentence.

Turbinaria sp. vary in the amount of care they require. Those that are highly convoluted or thin plates are the most difficult to care for. Others, make excellent candidates for the novice reef aquarist. It is a peaceful reef inhabitant and does not bother other corals that are placed in close proximity to it. However, it should still be provided with ample space away from other corals because it does grow quickly. It will require moderate lighting combined with moderate water movement within the aquarium. For its continued good health, it will also require the addition of calcium, strontium, and other trace elements to the water.

It will benefit from additional food in the form of brine shrimp or plankton.

FEED YOUR PAGODA!

AD87
01/16/2008, 05:50 PM
When you guys feed your coral do you actually see the polyps on your sps grab the Cyclop-eeze? The reason I ask is because I use coral frenzy and don't see any sps grab it, I want to make sure if im putting it in the tank they are benefiting off of it. Also how long do you let your corals feed with the main pump off?

Gdevine
01/16/2008, 11:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11616205#post11616205 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by speeddemonlsr
When you guys feed your coral do you actually see the polyps on your sps grab the Cyclop-eeze? The reason I ask is because I use coral frenzy and don't see any sps grab it, I want to make sure if im putting it in the tank they are benefiting off of it. Also how long do you let your corals feed with the main pump off?

You need to target feed. In other words, inject food particles directly into the mouth of the cup's polyps. You can do this a number of ways, the most obvious is use a syringe and turn off all flow. When the lights are out feed small bit of food over time hitting each polyp. After the first or second feeding effort, the polyps will open in response, and then any feeding after that is easy. You'll make them fat and happy. Some LFS sell long and telescoping "eyedropper" types of target feeders that makes it even easy.

At the end of the day; you're cups really need to be target fed 3 to 4 times a week.

stevelkaneval
01/17/2008, 12:04 AM
you could spend the 30 bucks on the teloscopeing one or you can get a turky baster for 2 bucks.

Gdevine
01/17/2008, 12:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11619519#post11619519 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stevelkaneval
you could spend the 30 bucks on the teloscopeing one or you can get a turky baster for 2 bucks.

For the small spend on the telescoping target feeder and the ease it's well worth the $ in my opinion. Basters are good for "blowing" stuff off...

stevelkaneval
01/17/2008, 12:33 AM
ive went so far as to glue a peice of air tube to the end and if your patient and you put the baster up you dont have to pump the ball at the end the stuff you have in it will sink to the end and come out slowly.

joeycadre
01/17/2008, 12:37 AM
i've been using them for almost 2 years now. as a treat, kinda... i feed them every three days or so. everybody loves them and is in great shape.

R.L.Young
01/17/2008, 01:23 AM
I have to slice my freeze bar dt's into small chunks and add directly into tank so my yellow tang can engulf some before it melts into the water to feed the corals;shrimp, and crabs.I have a serpant starfish that can smell it or senses it as soon has it hits the water , and comes runnig out .
So all in all I say its a great food, the claim of better color and health plus the high nutrition value seems to be pretty accurate.
The paggoda cup coral thats unhappy might just be a water flow problem Did any thing change as far has water movement? These corals should most likely be fed during the day.
Dt's phyto plankton , or the frozen orster eggs are also great food , but be careful with the dt's I know for a fact that its real easy to over feed

dendro982
01/17/2008, 07:05 AM
I'm using dry Cyclop eeze all the time for the corals - it's like a staple food. No problems with shipping ;)

AD87
01/17/2008, 11:31 AM
Great info when is the best time to feed my coral's right after the lights go out. Or can I turn my lights off in the middle of a light cycle for an hour then feed.... Is there any good articles I can read up on?

Gdevine
01/17/2008, 12:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11621932#post11621932 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by speeddemonlsr
Great info when is the best time to feed my coral's right after the lights go out. Or can I turn my lights off in the middle of a light cycle for an hour then feed.... Is there any good articles I can read up on?

Some corals are nocturnal and others not; however, the feeding response in most, if not all corals, will happen lights on or off if there is food in water. I feed my Sun Cups with the lights on in the evening and now they open "on time" even without any food in the water:) Hungry buggers they are and man do they look great!

Plus, it's gratifying to know you're feeding them and they look healthy and strong.

rmw4547
01/17/2008, 12:25 PM
Today when I fed my tank the nocturnal corals all had a feeding response to the cyclop eeze. This has never happend with the other type of frozen cyclops I have used.

MrSpiffy
01/17/2008, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the info, Gdevine. I'll give feeding it a try. I just started getting a little concerned because the polyps don't really come out much anymore. But it may be because I just installed halides a week or two ago, so the lighting change might have it adjusting. I moved it down to the bottom of the tank. We'll see how it does.

I do have a syringe to feed the polyps, too, so I'll try that with some freeze-dried Cyclop-Eeze.

AD87
01/17/2008, 01:03 PM
So just to clarify if im feeding and dont see any food in the polyps of the corals then their not getting any benefit correct.

UDrogue
01/17/2008, 01:05 PM
I'm thinking about using this too, which ones do you guys suggest, the freeze dried ones or the frozen types?

MrSpiffy
01/17/2008, 01:18 PM
If you use freeze-dried, soak them first, so they don't float at the top.

rmw4547
01/17/2008, 01:47 PM
I have been told that frozen is better then the dry.

gig
01/17/2008, 01:48 PM
A syringe without the needle works well too for target feeding.

Gdevine
01/17/2008, 01:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11622724#post11622724 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MrSpiffy
If you use freeze-dried, soak them first, so they don't float at the top.

A few things to consider:

1. Certain corals feed on very small particulate matter such as phytoplankton (DT's if you will) and small "dust type" particles like baby bryne or cyclop-eeze. If it floats in the water column where the tentacles of the corals polyps will grab it when it floats by. Stonies eat this way as do some softies as well.

2. Certain corals can handel larger pieces of food. For example, Sun Cups can be fed larger pieces of Mysis and literally eat the entire shrimp! These type of corals need to have each polyp feed individually if this is how you are feeding them.

Here's what I do: I defrost a small piece of frozen baby bryne in a shot glass type of cup. Baby bryne falls into the "dust type" of particulate food. I then add a very small amount of freeze dried cyclop-eeze to the mix. Then I add a cap of DT's and a cap of Ecosystems Reef Solution. I let it sit in the frig for about an hour and let all the particulate food matter soak up the DT and Reef Solution. I then add some tank water to the mix (about two syringe amounts). I then use a target feeder and draw up about 3 table spoons of the mix. I then target feed each polyp with the food and the response they provide is tremendous! (The soluton looks like a cloud surrounding the coral). They literally grab the particulates and phytoplankton that's all around them and then close up to ingest it all. In about 10 minutes they are open again and ready for a second helping:)

I do this until the mix is gone. Takes all of 30 minutes with about 4 to 5 feedings and we're done. The Sun Cups will stay open througout the night still filtering the food that's in the water column.

Probably the reason that your polyps aren't opening ... yet that is ... is because they are not "trained" yet. Keep it up, build their strength back, and they will open up 20 minutes before feeding time if you are consistent with your feedings.

Feed your corals! Whether they are zooxanthellae or azooxanthellae, all corals will benefit from the phytoplankton including fanua and filter feeders.

Lot's written on this subject and I can get you the issue of Coral magazine where they write on this subject with extense.

MrSpiffy
01/17/2008, 02:34 PM
I do feed sporadically, usually feeding frozen mysis or freeze-dried Cyclop-Eeze. But I don't really feed consistently. I guess I should buckle down and get into a routine. :)

How often do you feed? Every day? Couple times a week?

Gdevine
01/17/2008, 02:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11623299#post11623299 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MrSpiffy
I do feed sporadically, usually feeding frozen mysis or freeze-dried Cyclop-Eeze. But I don't really feed consistently. I guess I should buckle down and get into a routine. :)

How often do you feed? Every day? Couple times a week?

I feed them every night but not so much to feed the Sun Cups on a daily basis but the DT's and Reef Solution contain all kinds of vitamins, minerals and trace elements that I dose the tank with each night with so in essence I am killing two birds with one stone.

BTW, my fish go nutty when I feed this solution as it's filled with food for them as well:)

gig
01/17/2008, 02:53 PM
what about the regular frozen brine? I just started trying to feed my LPS and shrooms and this is all I had, they seem to like it.

Gdevine
01/17/2008, 03:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11623434#post11623434 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gig
what about the regular frozen brine? I just started trying to feed my LPS and shrooms and this is all I had, they seem to like it.

Regular bryne, depending who you talk to, doesn't have the same nutritional value say as baby bryne and/or cyclop-eeze and/or mysis. But who really knows, most of these frozen companies say they add vitamins any way.

watson_barrett
01/18/2008, 10:10 AM
I feed about every three days or so, would do it every day but i'm lazy. Not sure why you paid so much for it though??? it is relitively cheap for how long it lasts???

rmw4547
01/18/2008, 10:27 AM
shipping on frozen food is expensive

gig
01/18/2008, 11:00 AM
yeah, Drs F&S change $19 for shipping frozens, but if you get a bunch, I guess it's not so bad. I just buy from my LFS