PDA

View Full Version : Help please

Charlie's Angel
01/16/2008, 06:25 PM
O.K. now I am confused. Decided to start making kalkwasser for my topoff tank. Mixed the topoff water last night and put into the system. Started with 3 gallons and added 3 teaspoons of Warner Marine Kalk powder. Tank looked fine this morning, however tonight after getting home it is cloudy. All livestock look great. My parameters are listed below

Alk of 3
Calcium of 370
ph 8.4
Nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, phosphate come up zero.

All three gallons went into the system in a 18 hour timeframe. Only parameter that changed was ph went to 8.4 from 8.2 during the day. Alk and calcium have not changed. Recalibrated my refractometer and it is still 1.025. Only thing I can think of is Warner Marine says to mix the kalk powder in a container and let sit for 8 hours. Then out into topoff tank without the residue. I mixed in the topoff tank.

All tests are salifert and I have retested.

Any thoughts, advice, help to not repeat this problem.

Thanks

bertoni
01/16/2008, 07:46 PM
The pH might have spiked higher during the day, and caused some precipitation. I'd probably try to be around for the next drip, and check the pH every hour or so.

Charlie's Angel
01/16/2008, 08:01 PM
yes that is my plan...aren't the rest of the parameters a little low, mainly alk and calc...should I raise those first and then do a kalk drip...also, i am trying to do the kalk drip with a topoff tank and won't always be able to be home...should I just adjust the amount of kalk added, do a drip while I am home and once i get the amount right continue to do that

bertoni
01/16/2008, 08:46 PM
I'd raise the calcium and alkalinity before the drip, but I think those numbers are okay as is, in this case.

With some experimentation, you should be able to find a safe dose.

Charlie's Angel
01/16/2008, 09:06 PM
Thanks...I will try a smaller dose next time around and stick around. How can I lower the ph if there is a spike?

bertoni
01/16/2008, 09:29 PM
Some seltzer water will do the trick safely.

Charlie's Angel
01/16/2008, 09:33 PM
Thanks

bertoni
01/16/2008, 10:04 PM
You're welcome! Good luck!