PDA

View Full Version : dang damsel

doadster
01/16/2008, 11:31 PM
What is the best way to catch a striped damsel. Tried the acrylic traps and all the other fish seem go in except him. Any other ideas......... he's mean and is chewing up my royal gamma.

demonsp
01/16/2008, 11:36 PM
How may fish do you have now?
Amount of LR?

You could place a net in the tank a few hours before feeding and then add food around the ne ready to scoop up.

doadster
01/16/2008, 11:42 PM
yellow tang, maroon clown, diamond globy, mandarin, scooter blenny, royal gamma. Already caught two damsels but this guy is smart. Want to get some more fish but have to get this guy out first.

demonsp
01/16/2008, 11:56 PM
Im sure the net waiting thing works. But if you dont have enough LR and prime hiding spots then he could be searching for a good spot. Moving some rocks around or taping a picture of a larger fish on the side may calm him down.
On a side note is the eheim all u use for water flow?

doadster
01/17/2008, 12:48 AM
Nope. I have 2 hydor 3's

corbett_n
01/17/2008, 07:29 AM
see if you can get him to dive into a hole in a rock and pick the rock out. I had to do that twice with a 4 stripe and blue damsel.

masonicman
01/17/2008, 08:28 AM
My domino damsel was just like that.

Water bottle and fishing line trick (see web site below). Tie fishing line to one of the hole punched holes in order to pull the trap up to the top of the tank before the fish can escape. I found out that I needed to make the hole large enough for all the fish to go into it and come out. My domino damsel was smart. But once he seen my y tang going in and out snacking on the freeze dried shrimp. That was the trick part of it. You want the fish to be able to go in and out. Curiousity got to the best of him. He went in and I was waiting accros the room and quicky pull the line until the bottle raised right to the top.

You can use a small bottle if needed. Use a spring water bottle only. No chemicals in the bottle to worry about.

http://www.floridadriftwood.com/fish_trap.htm

Worked for me catching all of my 3 damsils. I even caught my other fish also that I didn't want to. They were going in the trap also.

leoslizards
01/17/2008, 10:42 AM
I've heard that damsels are very smart and if a trap fails they'll never fall for it again. They're quick learners.

K' Family Reef
01/17/2008, 11:03 AM
can tell you had 3 damsels in tank when first set it up...

got all 3 out in a matter of a couple hours using the 3liter coke bottle trap method.

can do a search for more detailed instructions but basically cut the top 1/3 of plastic coke bottle off... then cut the screw top off creating a hole big enough for the fish to get thru but not too big... then take that top 1/3 portion - turn it upside down and stick it back into the main portion of bottle - looks like a bowl is formed when done as the bottle sits upright on table.

put some food inside the bottle
set it in the display
wait it out

might even not feed the fish for couple days (i didnt have to do this though)

and you might catch every other fish in the tank first
but eventually you will end up w/ those damsels in the bottle.

i ended up catching the 3 chromis in the tank about 2 or 3x each before finally catching all the damsels.

i was surprised how easy this was and how much does a 3L bottle of coke run these days???
;)

now if you could tell me how to catch a pistol shrimp on the other hand - then we would both be happy!
:(

doadster
01/27/2008, 01:51 PM
Finally caught damsel. Didnt feed the damsel for a couple of days. Took tank lid off and waited with large net outside the water at top of tank then dropped a frozen bine in and he couldnt resist. Dived in with net and got him first try...............Know more dang damsel.....................Is now at lfs. Thanks everyone for help.

baldomero
01/28/2008, 09:48 AM
i feel ya i put aqueen angel in and my damsel went crazy nipping at em im just hoping the queen nips back at em.

twomccormicks
01/28/2008, 04:50 PM
I am having a hellova time getting mine out too. They are toooo smart and fast. They think that is THEIR tank and they are hunkered down for the long haul. I'm going to have to read up on the coke bottle trap!

atrain5851
01/28/2008, 05:01 PM
you could also just get a fish thats big enough to eat him haha