PDA

View Full Version : Proper way to dose chemi-clean?

Hal
01/17/2008, 09:18 AM
Lacking any info to the contrary on the box, I dumped it directly into my tank. After the fact, I read some posts where people dissolve it in RO water first, then add the RO/chemi-clean mixture to the tank.

After 24 hours, I don't see a noticable difference in my cyano. Did I do it wrong? Should I see a difference at 24 hours?

scotmc
01/17/2008, 09:23 AM
Whats up with the 68 dead fish and counting?

tmc1313
01/17/2008, 10:16 AM
You should stop skimming and pull any carbon. Yes, it's easier if you dissolve and mix it first before putting in tank. Sometimes it takes longer than 24 hours. On a side note, you should probably do a water change first and suck out as much as you can before dosing. Remember, even if if works, this USUALLY is only a temporary fix.

Hal
01/17/2008, 10:22 AM
I did stop the skimming and pull my carbon.

I'm hoping that when I look at my tank tonight (at 48 hrs), I'll see a difference.

Does chemi-clean actually dissolve the cyano in the 48 hrs our does it merely kill it, and then it dissolves over the next few days?

Hal
01/17/2008, 10:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11621032#post11621032 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scotmc
Whats up with the 68 dead fish and counting?

Don't you keep a tally of how many fish you add/remove from your tank? :D

Seriously, though, while I've had a lot of fish die on me, some due to my inexperience, many (about 10-15) due to an unfortunate incidence where the air conditioning turned off for 2 days while I was away and the tank cooked in the sunlight. I'm pretty sure I haven't hit 68 yet.

I chose the tagline mostly because I was feeling sarcastic and wanted something other than "registered member".

tmc1313
01/17/2008, 10:49 AM
The cyano is actually a type of bacteria and the chemi-clean an antibiotic (erythromyacin I believe). So yes, it should kill most of it after 48 hours, may take a little longer and then it will dissolve away, but then you will have the end product of all that dead cyano so be prepared to do a water change. I know with the Red Slime Remover it states you may have to dose again. If there if alot of cyano, I suggest doing the water change, and sucking out what's left before dosing again. Long term, try to figure out how you got it the first place Ie... low flow, poor water quality and take corrective action.

Hal
01/17/2008, 10:59 AM
It sure isn't low flow. I've got 20x right now due to my Vortech.

The amount of cyano isn't too bad, but I just got tired of seeing it. I'm using the chemi-clean in part just to try something new. I agree that I need to treat the cause.