PDA

View Full Version : BTA without Bubbles

fazgood
01/17/2008, 10:41 AM
I have a green BTA that was a fine looking bubble anemone when I got it about 8 months ago. It quickly split in three parts when I brought it home and now there are three really big and healthy looking BTAs. The only thing is that it's tentacles no longer have bubbles, they now look more like condylactus tentacles. I feed them a couple of times a week a mix of krill, shrimp and Rods food and the clowns love it. They are not overly aggressive to it and host in it and the mushrooms near by.

I have them located about 18 inches away from the lights (250W 14000K) and 110W T-5 actinics. Water quality is good and the tank has been around for 17 years. Any thoughts as to why they lost their bubbly look?
Salinity 1.026
Alk 9
Calcium 420
Mag – 1350
PH 7.9 to 8.1
Nitrates – 10 – 15
Phosphate – 0
Temp – 78 – 80
About 10 fish
Mostly soft corals, ricordias, mushrooms and zoas

Thanks

Faz

tpdpercula
01/17/2008, 11:06 AM
There are many ideas out there to why this happens but honestly know one knows for sure. I have had many that sarted out Bubbles but after splits and changing them from one tank to another they began to have long tentacles.

-Ian

Cheebs
01/17/2008, 11:28 AM
My tank hasn't been set up anywhere near as long as yours has, but my BTA started out with big bubble tips, and now 80% of the time it has long tentacles instead. Sometimes, for whatever reason, it decides to bubble up. My water quality is great, so it's a mystery to me.

whatcaneyedo
01/17/2008, 03:13 PM
Mine has gone full circle from being very bubbled at first to long and straight and now its mostly bubbled again. Somethings that I've tried that I think may have done it are running carbon and dosing Lugols Iodine Solution.