PDA

View Full Version : Few Questions

sunshinegrl
01/17/2008, 03:22 PM
Is green algae a bad thing? If so how do I get rid of it on my LR. Also I believe I have copepods sprouting in my tank. Is there a way to get rid of them? I only have a clownfish and a snail or two in my tank. Last question, I am looking to start a new 29G nano. I am not sure what the settings for the waterflow should be. Please advise.

camlov2
01/17/2008, 03:26 PM
The copepods are a good thing, you don't want to get rid of them. It sounds like you don't have enough of a cuc (clean up crew), that would help take care of some of the gree algae.

Brian

dileggi
01/17/2008, 03:29 PM
Typically, green algae is considered nuisance algae unless you have a reason to grow it for fuge or food. Getting rid of it usually requires lowering your nitrates and increasing flow. You could also gently scrub it off, say with a toothbrush, but it will come back if you have low flow or high nitrates.

As for the copepods, I have them as well. I just leave 'em be, so I don't know. I've read that clowns have been obsurved to pick them off the glass, etc, but I have never seen mine do that.

As for flow in a 29g. I have a 29g and my flow is 716. But, it's hard to say what's right or wrong. At least 20x's seems to be the general consensus, but you also need to consider what you're going to put into the tank as something may require you to add more flow.

dileggi
01/17/2008, 03:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11623715#post11623715 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by camlov2
The copepods are a good thing, you don't want to get rid of them. It sounds like you don't have enough of a cuc (clean up crew), that would help take care of some of the gree algae.

Brian

I completely forgot to mention clean up crew as well. But, only certain things will actually eat the algae like scarlet hermits and I think cerith snails. I looked on liveaquaria.com and searched for algae! LOL!