PDA

View Full Version : Water Chemistry / dosing question

dileggi
01/18/2008, 01:33 PM
There was a post, a few pages back by now I'm sure. Someone had a question about dosing for CA and some other things.

I basically mentioned on there not to dose anything unless your tests show a reason to raise the levels.

But, I also mentioned, as part of a bi-weekly maintenance, I've been adding the Kent Trace Elements to my water according to the label, which for my small tank is only 1/2 tsp. The label states that you use it as part of a maintenance program to replace trace elements lost through skimming, carbon etc.

Someone answered my post and stated that I was being contradictory because I was in fact dosing for things that I wasn't testing for and adding any trace elements was a waste of time and money.

I'm really just looking to be educated here. As I never dose CA, PH, dKH or anything at all unless my test state otherwise, I've been using this trace element for the last 2 months and technically am not able to test for the things that are being "replenished" by this. I guess I was looking at this as being more of a prevent/tank maintenance thing than acutal dosing.

Anyone having any input of right or wrong or otherwise would be greatly appreciated.

dileggi
01/18/2008, 02:26 PM
Anyone at all?

taillonjohn
01/18/2008, 03:15 PM
It is rather a waste of money if your not testing for it. if your not testing for it, why do you think you need it? But, I also went through a phase where I was dosing trace elements in-between water chages, without testing same as you, and then stopped after 3 months (when my supply's ran out), and didnt dose anymore in-between water changes, and didnt notice any difference. since your following the label directions, and if you dont notice anything being negatively affected, then you can do what you want, but it kind of makes sense that you're wasting money, since you dont know how its affecting your tank, dont you agree? this is my opinion, since no one else has piped up yet.

Capt_Cully
01/18/2008, 03:16 PM
I think if you're doing REGULAR decent sized waterchanges, with a reputable salt brand most of your trace stuff will be repleted rather well.

Avi
01/18/2008, 03:17 PM
It's definitely best to not add anything unless your regular testing shows that there's a need for it. So long as you're testing with reasonable frequency for Calcium, alkalinity, nitrates, phosphates, pH and magnesium, I'd say you're taking all necessary precautions and dosing wisely. But, those trace elements can be depleted and some important ones like iodine, strontium, etc. have to be present in the water for the success of your livestock. Regular water changes with your salt mix will take care of that. The kind of additive you mention can be used but it's really not necessary to use it as much as the label suggests.

Take a look here.....

dileggi
01/18/2008, 05:55 PM
Hey everyone, thanks for your responeses. In seeing everyone's point of view, it does make sense completely to stop dosing this stuff.