PDA

View Full Version : C-balance or Purpleup

jackchen
01/18/2008, 02:58 PM
can someone tell me which product is better? I only have fish with lots live rock right now

thanks

drparker
01/18/2008, 03:03 PM
C-balance 2 part. No one is sure of what's in Purple up. I just switched because of this.

sgarron
01/18/2008, 03:04 PM
If you only have fish you shouldn't need either. Weekly 10% water changes will keep everything in balance.

jackchen
01/18/2008, 03:23 PM
thanks! I was told by the local stores to add one of this product to enhance the color of the live rock. and It will also produce more purple algea. True?

Burbs
01/18/2008, 03:44 PM
it would help with your rock to get coraline since your ot adding any calcium

fishox
01/18/2008, 03:48 PM
I would recommend going with the 2 part product. I use B Ionic and it works well for me. It is a bit expensive but you can make your own two part that works just as well.

Another important thing to remember if you go the two part method is that it really is a 2 part system since you have to maintain your magnesium levels at roughly 3x the calcium level.

This may not be as fast as purple up but remember that nothing good happens fast in your aquarium.

Also, if you are going to go with a two part system along with a magnesium supplement be sure to buy test kits. Never add something you can't test for.

el Deutche
01/18/2008, 03:50 PM
The LFS talked me into buying Purple Up. Haven't been diligent in adding it. Add it when I remember. I'm currently battling a HA problem, but any rock that is exposed has good coralline growth.

75pxatr
01/18/2008, 04:21 PM
You do not need purple up it is just another overpriced product that is marketed to new hobbyists.

I dose kalkwasser in my 75gal tank and have coraline algae growing on everything. I do not add anything else. I have it automated with a liter meter dosing pump and spend less than 10 minutes per week maintaining calc and alk.

If you want a two part solution, again do not pay for the overpriced products at the pet store.

go to two part solution, or bulk reef supply. These guys sell the bulk material you can use to dose calcium and alk for a fraction of the cost.

Save your money!!

email me if you want more input.