PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting a wartskin angler later...

crazedpuffer
01/19/2008, 10:32 AM
I'm just wondering if they are prone to internal parasites and if I should treat him for it?
If so what should I use praziquantel? And is that safe to use with LR and LS in a tank or should I medicate his food?
Thanks for your help.

PuffDandEd
01/19/2008, 10:53 AM
If you have not seen the angler yet and not had a chance to assess his condition, I would recommend you do so prior to making a blanket statement about whether or not you are going to medicate him. You may not need to medicate him at all which would save you money! Plus medications are hard on them in general and if it's not necessary why bother? Typically when new fish arrive here, during the acclimation phase, we give them a 1 hour dip in ParaGuard right before they get put into QT. During QT we do not medicate unless one or more fishes in the tank are showing signs of disease. We have found a much greater success rate for doing that than medicating them "always" as a general rule.

The problem with meds is that some damage the nitrification process, some damage other things, and some do God knows what! I see little benefit in dealing with a nitrification cycling issue during medicating unless you absolutely have too. Nitrite poisoning is way more destructive to the fish than potentially getting a disease that they never had to begin with. I realize that there are cycling products out there like Stability and Fritz-zyme to help, but not all are perfect unfortunately and some don't work at all!

As with angler's due to his Warty nature, it will be essential you observe him closely under good light to make sure he is disease free. They are difficult to tell how they are doing but if you read up on them (Scott W. Michael's book Reef Fishes is an excellent source) you should do fine.

Good Luck, anglers are awesome!!!

crazedpuffer
01/19/2008, 11:22 AM
I saw 2 the other day and they are getting a new batch today, so I'm planning on getting the healthiest one I can.
They are only 26 dollars! How could I possibly turn that offer down? They didn't seem sick to me and I practically always get incredibly healthy fish from this store, but not really sure what an angler would look like with IP.
I prob won't treat him just yet but will if I need too. Thank you!

PuffDandEd
01/19/2008, 02:55 PM
You are most welcome. That is an excellent price for a Warty!