PDA

View Full Version : Volitan lion tank size OK?

jimi thing
01/19/2008, 03:48 PM
Hello, I've read from a few different places that say a volitan lionfish can be housed in a 55g because they don't really swim around much. I'm not sure about this. I have a med V. Lion in a 70g long 82"L X 13.5"D X 14.5"H right now and I watch mine swim back and forth. My question is will I be able to keep him in my tank or will I need to upgrade to a larger tank? Right now there are only the Lion and a 18" snowflake eel in the tank and that's probably be the only fish in there.
Thanks!

scuba kid
01/19/2008, 04:05 PM
I'd be slighting concerned about the width of the tank. Potentially, the volitan can reach a size longer than the width of the tank, which can make it difficult for him to move and turn around.

billsreef
01/19/2008, 05:17 PM
I'd consider a 90 to be a minimum size. After all, they do get the size of a football and than you still need space for those fins to spread out real nice ;)

jimi thing
01/19/2008, 06:38 PM
So let's say 120 to be safe then can I add any other fish or should I stay with the lion and eel?
Thanks for the help on this. I've had reefs and still have one but never any large fish only, so I'm kind of a newbie at this lol.

FMarini
01/19/2008, 07:11 PM
I'm w/ Bill on this one, a tank of at least 18" depth is required. Adult volitans are large fish w/ large wide pec fin spans, and while they may not swim around much, they look excessively cramped trying to turn its body in a small space.
Also remember that a 4"volitans will be a 15" volitans in less than 1 yr

Feel free to read up on keeping lionfish here
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/fm/feature/index.php