PDA

View Full Version : How can I stabalize the rock?

kremit2007
01/19/2008, 06:44 PM
Hey guys, so I've been posting a lot lately because last night I replaced my existing substrate from CC and fine sand to LS. I of course now have a snow storm which is lasting forever and many rocks which are waiting to be placed when I can actually see. I want to know if there is something out there, besides drilling and PVC that I can use to better fix my rocks when I put them where I want them. I have, in the past, had a problem with rocks falling when hermits or snails push through things, but I dont want that anymore. Is there an epoxy, that is reef safe, which I can use in my tank? I have read about some so any suggestions? Is this stuff true? I haven't found it at any LFS yet. I want something unnoticeable and something that is easy to use, and doesn't take weeks to cure.Ha, as with everything else in this hobby.

Also, in addition to the question about the epoxy, any suggestions to clearing up the sand storm quicker? Some have said to turn everything on, full flow, others have said to turn everything off, low flow. I do have 2 hermits, 2 snails, one eel, and a foxface that are still in the tank. These, in addition to my small variety of corals, were the only thing to survive in my tank. Thanks for you help!

kremit2007
01/19/2008, 06:47 PM
Oops, I should also add that what I meant by survive, was referring to the crash that occurred in my tank earlier this month..

RyanMcLaughlin
01/19/2008, 06:51 PM
There is a Hold Fast Epoxy that is reef safe and cures underwater. I have seen it at Petsolutions.com. Good luck with the tank.

kremit2007
01/19/2008, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Any others?

RyanMcLaughlin
01/19/2008, 07:01 PM
Ive also heard of Devcon 11600 Epoxy but have never seen it so you would have to do some looking.

draleigh
01/19/2008, 08:03 PM
there is a two part at home depot that is half the price that is reef safe too.....unfort. i forget the brand. But i think it is the only one they care (at least around here) that cures underwater. On the sand storm, i turned everything off for a few days and let mine settle. Turning on your powerheads is just going to get sand particales in the impeller and keep it suspended. The fish don't need the flow. Time is the only thing that will let it settle, there isn't much you can do now to make it settle faster.

-=Efrain=-
01/19/2008, 09:42 PM
There is reef safe glue for rocks online at many websites.

Your tank will go threw a small cycle with this sand storm so please keep tabs on your ammonia and your nitrates. Also keep your rock in water with a power head and a heater or things will start to die on the rock and if you then put the rock into your tank you will get an ammonia spike..

kremit2007
01/20/2008, 01:55 AM
All of the tank's mates have all been added back into the tank, it is still dusty looking as to be expected but nothing is in buckets anymore. The corals all look ok, the Xenia looks wierd though but he gets that way (almost shriveled looking) when he is stressed. As for the rest of the tank, its doing ok. I do expect another cycle and later today (Sunday) I will be hopefully buying some beautiful pieces of LR.

uscharalph
01/20/2008, 03:06 AM
I don't use anything to secure rocks. I just got a little creative when aquascaping. Different sizes and shapes help.

demonsp
01/20/2008, 03:10 AM
You need to get the bigger pieces on the glass then build around them.Drilling a 1/4 hole and useing pvc hlpes as does epoxy and even gel super glue. Break rocks apart to better shapes or functions,And i always try to build around a center show piece rock .Or my best looking piece.Have fun with it and leave room for flow and fish traffic.

Macimage
01/20/2008, 11:49 AM
The reef safe putty they sell at HD is called AquaMend Underwater Repair Epoxy Putty and is found in the paint dept. at my hd.

If you turn off flow to settle the sand, you may deprive your fish of oxygen and they could end up dead so be careful.

Use fiberglass or acrylic rods drilled through the live rock for best stabilization. There are a few great threads if you do a search.

Joyce

abr6
01/20/2008, 12:10 PM
you can use super glue from home depot but you have to be quick in putting your rock in coz the glue dries really fast and makes this dry layer around it, so what you do is twist the rock a little to burst the bubble of glue so it'll make contact with the rock being placed.
now i think a better alternative is the two little fishes epoxy that you can buy in two colors (im not sure how many colors they have) i used the pink one so in time it'll look like coralline. the epoxy gives you more time in placing your rock. just a little precaution, watch your skimmer as it may overflow from producing too much bubbles. i would suggest to turn it off 24 hours. i hope this helps.