PDA

View Full Version : breeding feather dusters?

coryjones
01/20/2008, 10:38 AM
First of is it at all posible to breed them in captivity . I have these very small things that look like a feather duster only much smaller have not seen anything come out of the tubes but they are on the same rock as the feather duster. I tried to get a pic but it is nearly imposible I only have one so dont no but any help would be great thanks

Trotter
01/20/2008, 10:47 AM
Feed as much phyto as possible while avoiding a nitrate problem and you will see more filter feeders in your tank.

michaeljames
01/20/2008, 11:31 AM
They won't really "breed" in a system you are just seeing the little hichhikers that come on live rock

Radioheadx14
01/20/2008, 09:32 PM
i had some that get a max fan size of about 1.5" diameter and they reproduce super fast. In about 4 months i went from a hand full on one rock to having them on every rock, in my sand and some on the back glass and even in my sump. So i think it all depends on what types you have. Also, i never feed them anything.

george81
01/20/2008, 10:48 PM
the will reproduce in you re system...i used to dose phyto daily...when i set up my fuge i had nothing but chateo...now its have hundreds of feather dusters...
dosing phyto will aid in their reproduction...i started with zero featherduster they got introduced to my system from the phyto i dose..i get mine farm fresh from coralscaping.com

jbaty
01/20/2008, 10:55 PM
My fuge has tons of them.. all over the glass and rock work in there... to the point where I had to start scraping them out...lol

If you feel that they are getting to be to much in the system. I had bought a copperbanded butterfly fish.. he ate them like they were candy...

Salamander
01/20/2008, 11:31 PM
If you have little tubes you've never seen a feather crown, they could be vermetid gastropods. Basically sessile snails that spit out a sting of mucus to collect food and then reel it in to eat.

They and small feather dusters will spread like crazy in most tanks with no special care what so ever. Vermetids can get to be a pain by some reports but not so much IME.

coryjones
01/21/2008, 03:40 PM
they look lke tiny feather dusters have a opening in the tube but never seen anything come out how long does t take from them to go from 1" long to full grown the one i have is proble 1.5" or 2" spread out its kinda cool