PDA

View Full Version : stumped?????

jpitts101
01/20/2008, 03:25 PM
I have a friend that has had a sucessfull reef for 2 years, he rencently changed tanks ( about 8 months ago ) and cannot keep a sps alive over night.
All his params check out fine.
New sandbed with new tank.
T-5 lighting.
sump and fuge
all of the corals he moved from his last tank did find and are thriving but any new corals/frags he puts in literally die over night.
i've even given him a coral that i've had in my system over a year and he called me the next day and it was a white skelton. he does not have any nipping fish or pest that he has seen. I cant nor anyone else figure it out. Are there any sugestions that any of you can think of? By the way he has done the poly pad and runs carbon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JNye
01/20/2008, 07:35 PM
acclimation/light and water?

jpitts101
01/20/2008, 09:12 PM
he has tried all aclclimation from slow, to drip and just slime coat and put in the tank. t-5 lighting, about 5 months old and RODI water.

Jake_07
01/21/2008, 02:05 AM
How many T5s how many watt? how big is the tank? maybe he has copper in his tank.

jpitts101
01/21/2008, 10:16 AM
its a 92 corner, no copper in the tank. It already has inverts and existing corals from his old tank, he just cant add any new sps/lps
Lighting is good, i believe 6-36 inch T5's, a couple months old. These corals are going from very healthy to white coral skeltons over night. No die off or degeneration, dead over night

twon8
01/21/2008, 12:20 PM
how about some water tests?

jpitts101
01/21/2008, 12:25 PM
everything was tested by 2 different lfs and tested fine
I dont remember his exacts but they were all good. both of the lfs were also stumped thats why im asking on here. i'll see what i can do about getting his exact params.

musty baby
01/21/2008, 01:48 PM
He'll have to make a list of every last thing that changed between the two tanks and work his way through the list eliminating possibilities. It sounds to me like there is something not tested for in the water that was introduced with the tank switch.

seattownreefer
01/21/2008, 04:56 PM
whats the temperature in his tank compared to the ones he purchased corals from?

jpitts101
01/21/2008, 08:47 PM
the temp of the tank stays around 78-81. Nothing changed in the tank but the sand, he added new sand. He even kept half the old water and has done weekly and biweekly water changes since then. I havent gotten in touch with him but I will post all his params as soon as possible. I thought there may be a wire exposed or even a penny or something dropped in the tank but he swears up and down there hasnt. thanks all thus for for your help.

GuySmilie
01/21/2008, 10:53 PM
Is the new tank brand spankin new, or used?
If used, did he sterilize it properly?
Who knows what was in it before he got it?

jpitts101
01/22/2008, 09:01 AM
The tank was used but before picking up the tank the guy had coral, fish and rock in it. As far as steralization I have no idea. I dont understand why he can keep can keep his existing corals in it fine but any new ones are dead over night.