PDA

View Full Version : Assistance setting up sump/refuge

TheCureForSin
01/20/2008, 04:36 PM
I'm currently in the process of siliconing the baffles into my sump/refugium. I have the down pipe area all set, now what I'm wondering. How much room to leave for the return/skimmer section. I currently don't have a skimmer, but want to finish this off. I'm considering getting a Turboflotor 1000 (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4392+8185&pcatid=8185) so I can leave it on the outside of the sump since it's only a 20L (space issues).

Also will have maybe a Mag 7.5 in there, so just wondering how many inches I should leave in the final section of my sump. Anyone have any ideas?

Dubbin1
01/20/2008, 04:52 PM
I would be sure to leave plenty of extra room for upgrades. I wouldn't go any less the 12" but would still recommend more.

TheCureForSin
01/20/2008, 04:58 PM
12 inches? you nuts? lol

the layout of the sump is:

downpipe -> a section with rubble -> refugium (chaeto) -> next section with skimmer and return pump. Now honestly, I can't afford to have 12" or I wont have anywhere to grow macro algae. Like... I really only want the final section to be able to fit the pumps for return and skimmer pump. Just don't know how big that will be. Know what I mean?

ledford1
01/20/2008, 06:26 PM
My 2 cents - I don't like having the skimmer after the fuge. Also, I'm not sure I'd like having the skimmer and the return in the same chamber. Unless you have an ATO or are very diligent on refills, the water in the return chamber will fluctuate, which can affect skimmer performance.

TheCureForSin
01/20/2008, 06:28 PM
would it be better have the skimmer chamber and THEN the refugium section with the return in the fuge?

mixed_reefer
01/20/2008, 06:44 PM
In my opinion, yes it would. Much better, for several reasons.

TheCureForSin
01/20/2008, 06:51 PM
Now it would be competely fine to have return pump sitting on one end of the refuge area?