PDA

View Full Version : No coraline algae growth.

rlf_racing
01/20/2008, 10:21 PM
This my 75 gal tank that has been running since Sept. What do I need to do to get coraline algae growth? Do I need to change the filter setup from h.o.t. to a sump type setup? Additives? Check my parameters weekly and everything is in check. Also i have this green algae along the back glass asyou can see in the picture. I feed my fish twice a day since that is what I read in the care for the that I have or is this and somebody has a better way of going about it? I am open to all suggestions.
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii111/rlf_racing/101_0205.jpg

Diver4life
01/20/2008, 10:33 PM
For the coraline algae to grow takes some time,for what i see you have some growing on the emperor suction tubes, about the algae on the back glass i have the same in my tank, that can provide a source of food for some fishes,and can absorb some of the nitrates and phosphates from your water.

reefnetworth
01/20/2008, 10:43 PM
feed once a day. get a coulpe mexican turbo snails for the glass, the astrea on it now, wont work near as well.
i see some coralline growth. if you add one actinic bulb in your hood, it will speed the growth of coralline.
remove your filters for about 24 hrs. and then slightly shave (dont need to scrape it) some of the existing coralline in front of a powerhead outlet to circulate it. FPE, this works!

rlf_racing
01/20/2008, 11:19 PM
I guess I should have listed everything about my tank.
75 gal AGA
2 Emperor 400
1 Maxi jet 1000
1 Mini jet 400
300 watt heater
48" coralife 65 watt 10,000K and two 65 watt True Actinic bulbs
60lbs live sand
Roughly 75 lbs live rock of various types
3 ocallaris clowns
1 saddle brown clown
1 blue hippo tang
2 neon gobies
1 blue green chromis
About a bakers dozen assorted hermit crabs
3 turbo snails
5 astrea snails
Arrow crab
Green emerald crab

Should I add any more inverts to this tank? I do plan on adding more live rock to this tank along with a anemone or two for the clowns that I have. But have heard not to add any types of anemones to the tank unless it is older than 6 months. I s that true? And would it be better to run a sump on this tank than the 2 emperor filters?

Reef of Eden
01/20/2008, 11:25 PM
2 part attack plan:
Purple Up + MORE FLOW
and the place in your tank that probably gets the most flow is your HOB intake

i believe thats what you need for coraline in your situation

rlf_racing
01/20/2008, 11:34 PM
What types of power heads would you recommend for this tank then?

sjm817
01/20/2008, 11:41 PM
Dont use Purple-Up. There have been many threads on this subject and the consensus by the chemistry experts is, it is not a good product. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1285348

What exactly is "in check" with your parameters? You need low nitrate/phosphate, proper alk/ca/mg levels.

rlf_racing
01/20/2008, 11:46 PM
Ammonia = 0
Nitrate = 0
Nitrite = 0
PH = 8.4
Alk not sure
Don't have tests for the others you listed. I am still pretty new to this great hobby.

sjm817
01/20/2008, 11:49 PM
All of that looks great. The others that I mention are important as well.

The other ingredients that are important are time and patience! Dont go for a quick fix.

My tank has never seen a drop of Purple-Up

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/Cheerleader555240/DSC_1395.jpg

rlf_racing
01/21/2008, 12:01 AM
That is what I am talking about. That is a very nice shot of your tank. How long did it take to get the coraline algae to get like that? Do you add any additives and what master test kit do you use on your tank?