PDA

View Full Version : Diy PO4 reactor (use with carbon) help?

Twz
01/21/2008, 12:42 AM
i would like to do this
http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14447&PN=1
but i want to run activated carbon in it would i want fluidization like you do when running phosban in it? i have a spare Maxi jet 1200 from my seaclone would this be sufficient or to much?

Percula9
01/21/2008, 01:12 PM
I recently built my own reactor out of a tap water filter. But on mine the water comes in from the bottom and exits the top. I use a valve to set the proper flow. The output feeds back into the filter sock. You can do the carbon thing, but you will have to valve back the maxijet to get the proper flow. I saw your design, good job. Fluidization is the best way to get maximum water and media contact.

steve9
01/22/2008, 01:14 PM
for carbon you only want slow upflow...the slower the better

RokleM
01/23/2008, 09:09 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11660219#post11660219 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by steve9
for carbon you only want slow upflow...the slower the better

I believe most would disagree. P04 remover is best with slow upflow and a slight tumble on the surface. Carbon typically recommends high flow in a big in the sump or moderate to high flow in a reactor (basically as fast as you can without grinding).

kgross
01/23/2008, 09:38 AM
Your maxijet will be more than enough pump, you will want to put a valve on it so you can slow it down. you do not want the carbon moving so much that it is breaking up, it will release lots of little black particles into your tank if it does.

Kim