PDA

View Full Version : Ro-di water affecting two-part?

ishmael
01/21/2008, 08:01 AM
Not having any chemistry background other than H.S., I have struggled a bit in fine-tuning the use of Randy's two-part.

At first, it was a matter of understanding the basic relationships...alk, PH, Calcium.

Having gotten more comfortable with that however, there always seems to be some disconnect in my applying Randy's formulas to my tank, the main one being a struggle to raise Calcium levels above 320. I never have felt the need to write to the forum to address this issue however, because my tank seemed to be OK under these conditions.

Unfortunately, I had an "event" (that is a topic for another thread) and so now I would like to clarify one thing, as it applies to me.

After trying for a couple of years to tweek the method of creating the calcium part, I bit the bullet and spent the 48 Bucks on B-Ionic. I took the calcium part and added it to my tank and BAM! immediately the calcium measured 420!

So I thought about what might be causing a problem in my particular case. (I supplement Mag, so that is not it.)

My top-off water is well water and we treat it with salt, softener, before it enters the house and my ro-di. Hence it is very alkaline.

I apologize for being so long-winded but:

By starting with very soft water, in the creation of your two part calcium, is there a detrimental effect on the solution created?

Maybe the ro-di water being so alkaline, the calcium is being prevented from dissolving? Or perhaps it precipitates? Would I be better off mixing in distilled water?

Randy, if you are there, thanks for all that you do to help us enjoy this fascinating hobby!

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/21/2008, 10:56 AM
There should be no problem in making the calcium part of my two part with any water, including tap (which I do not recommend due to impurity possibilities).

Dies the calcium chloride all dissolve?

Did you add ONLY the calcium part to try to boost calcium? Adding both parts equally will fail to boost calcium significantly.

ishmael
01/21/2008, 11:10 AM
Thanks for responding and so quickly!

I add the buffer after lights go out and calcium in the morning.

My water is 9-9.5 dkh pre-two part. And now I won't worry about that anymore..

I do have difficulty getting the Dowflake to dissolve. There does tend to be a little residue in the bottom of the container. I think I remember reading ways to help the "buffer" dissolve in your article.
I will re-read the calcium part more carefully.

Thanks again.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/21/2008, 02:11 PM
A little residue is not a concern, as long as nearly all of the bulk solids are gone. :)

Icefire
01/21/2008, 06:17 PM
Wont a high alk tap water precipitate the calcium until a equilibrum is reached?

ishmael
01/21/2008, 06:27 PM
That is what I initially feared.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/21/2008, 06:38 PM
That may be the residue, or it may be calcium carbonate already in the calcium chloride, but the amount of depletion is trivially small. My two part has 37,000 ppm calcium in it. Even with very high alkalinity tap water, your taking about a hundred ppm calcium or so to precipitate it all out. :D