PDA

View Full Version : open brain and percula clownfish

jadeguppy
01/21/2008, 11:35 AM
My clown has taken to napping on my open brain. Since this started about two weeks ago it hasn't been inflating quite as much and I don't see the tenticles out like I use to. Is this a problem or a normal thing?

musty baby
01/21/2008, 01:54 PM
That's a normal reaction, just watch to make sure the health of the coral isn't declining. If it does, you may need to move it in hopes of getting the clown to quit hosting or remove one of the two.

jadeguppy
01/21/2008, 02:18 PM
Okay. The clown also hosts on in a nearby frogspawn so that gives the brain a break during the day. I'm adding an elegance coral later today. Maybe that will also help. How will I be able to tell if the brain's healthy is going down?

Sharkbait1
01/22/2008, 10:26 AM
I have a pair of clowns that host in my open brain too. It goes a day or two deflated then inflates for a day or two. They have been hosting in it for about 3 years now, and the brain has definately grown. So them hosting has had no bad effects.

myzislow
01/22/2008, 12:36 PM
No problems here going on ~1.5 years
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/myzislow/Halloweenpics07190.jpg

musty baby
01/22/2008, 02:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11658870#post11658870 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sharkbait1
I have a pair of clowns that host in my open brain too. It goes a day or two deflated then inflates for a day or two. They have been hosting in it for about 3 years now, and the brain has definately grown. So them hosting has had no bad effects.

No way to tell if it's inhibited the brain's growth, but I do agree with you. My roommate has a frogspawn that has had a pair of percs hosting in it for years and it keeps putting on heads, but is halfway retracted all of the time.

You'll see tissue recession if the brain really doesn't like it, but along with everyone else I'd say leave it be, it will probably be fine.

Sharkbait1
01/22/2008, 06:36 PM
You'll see tissue recession if the brain really doesn't like it, but along with everyone else I'd say leave it be, it will probably be fine. [/B]

Defiantly no tissue recession. I'll post a pic later.
LOL My brain is HUGE!

jadeguppy
01/22/2008, 06:45 PM
Good to hear. Fully inflated mine is about as long as my hand and wider. Right now it is inflating about 1" shorter than before. The tissue is bright neon green and stays at least partially inflated most of the time, so I'll leave them alone for now. Kinda startled me the first time I saw the clown laying down on it. My first thought was that the brain killed it. :)

chicagoman_35
01/23/2008, 01:28 PM
My mated pair love my open brain, it has grown to the size os a jr basketball! They seem to enjoy each other...

jadeguppy
01/24/2008, 06:13 PM
Good news, it finally put out some tenticles and ate. :) He was nearly fully inflated the next day. :)

desara3
01/25/2008, 05:52 PM
If it shrinks for a long period of time move to another area in your tank away from clown