PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using PHOSaR ?

unbreakable
01/21/2008, 12:53 PM
was wondering if anyone has used this and how well it worked compared to anything else?

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~SearchStr~phosar~action~view~idProduct~WM00102~idCategory~FIFMCHPR~category~Warner_Marin e_Research_ReefPure_PHOSaR_Phosphate_Remover_125g_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Filter_Media_Chemical_ Phosphate_Removers~vendor~.html

ReefRockerLive
01/21/2008, 01:10 PM
FYI, this isn't a PO4 remover. It is more like a PO4 media recharger.

unbreakable
01/21/2008, 01:25 PM
agh, ordered the wrong thing then. thanks for the response

unbreakable
01/21/2008, 01:41 PM
it doesnt say anything about it being a recharger in the company's website or at marine depot. do you have to use this with PHOSaR HC ?

woz9683
01/21/2008, 01:51 PM
The link didn't work for me, but I assume you're talking about just the regular PHOSaR as opposed to the PHOSaR HC. They are both phosphate removers, the HC just has the ability to remove more PO4. I'm not really sure what ReefRockerLive was talking about.

I haven't personally used it, but I've heard people have had good results with the HC version. I would guess the regular version is similar, just less capacity and therefore more frequent media changes.

unbreakable
01/21/2008, 02:49 PM
yes, it was the regular PHOSaR Phosphate Remover called "Reef Pure"

so then this can be used to remove phosphate, just not as good as the PHOSaR HC?

Yinger
01/21/2008, 03:55 PM
the link didn't work for me either, but yes, like woz said, its a PO4 remover. Its just not as concentrated as phosar HC. If your starting off, i'd recommend going with the phosar then switching to phosar HC once your PO4 is low.

As far as comparison, its been my favorite one so far. It works extremely well and its pretty cheap. I tried rowaphos before and it didn't last as long as the phosar IME.

ReefRockerLive
01/21/2008, 05:44 PM
Sorry, I was thinking of another product, PhosphatR.

unbreakable
01/21/2008, 06:55 PM
thanks for the help everyone! and np reefrocker

pjf
01/21/2008, 07:38 PM
I use a 1" thick layer of PHOSaR-HC granular ferric oxide (GFO) in a reactor over 5 inches of carbon. The media is separated by a sponge pad. Here is a URL: http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=WM-PHOSAR-HC&Category_Code=

PHOSaR HC is the only GFO that I have used. I chose it because it is denser than most GFO media. I believe that its density will make it less fragile and dust-prone.

unbreakable
01/21/2008, 08:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11654902#post11654902 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pjf
I use a 1" thick layer of PHOSaR-HC granular ferric oxide (GFO) in a reactor over 5 inches of carbon. The media is separated by a sponge pad. Here is a URL: http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=WM-PHOSAR-HC&Category_Code=

PHOSaR HC is the only GFO that I have used. I chose it because it is denser than most GFO media. I believe that its density will make it less fragile and dust-prone.

this one is just PHOSaR, not the HC kind. so the PHOSaR HC has worked out well for you?

Rickyrooz1
01/21/2008, 10:59 PM
I just finished my 1000 gram bucket of Phosar and liked it better than the ROWAphos. I'm now trying the new Brightwell Phosphate media.