PDA

View Full Version : Phosphate Help

RyanMcLaughlin
01/21/2008, 03:04 PM
So my tank is nearing the end of the cycle and today I tested phosphates and it read at 1ppm. I know that is dangerously high and was wondering what can I do to lower it. I know pwc will help but are there supplements or anything I can get.

dileggi
01/21/2008, 03:14 PM
If you have the room to add a phosban reactor, that will help considerably. If not, you can use the phosban media without the reactor. I use it without the reactor because I don't have the room for the reactor. The phosban media will still work without the reactor, but not quite as good.

Also, running a skimmer will also help lower your phosphates too!

Cutting back on feedings, and if you feed frozen food, thawing it out in ro/di water before adding it to the tank will help. I've also been told that if you feed flake foods, they contain a lot of phosphates as well.

danmcmahon
01/21/2008, 06:50 PM
Are you using a good test kit like salifert? You also need a good skimmer to remove protein before it breaks down

rbtwo4
01/21/2008, 07:00 PM
i wouldnt say its "dangerous" its not like its gonna kill anything. ur main concern is nitrates and ammonia now that is "dangerous" phosphates can be controlled but i dont think anyone can have a zero reading from what ive read on it. phosban reactor is good for it or phosphate filter pads.