PDA

View Full Version : Metal Halide Pendant vs reflector

Jah2707
01/21/2008, 03:45 PM
Currently I have a 175 metal halide pendant. The bulb hangs straight up and down and the inside is not very reflective at all. I am currently building a hood and am thinking of replacing the pendant with a reflector. First is it possible to take a horizontal bulb and move it to vertical? Second how much more light what I get? Thanks for your help.

kgross
01/21/2008, 04:46 PM
Good questions sir.

Depends on the bulb. Most of our bulbs are universal position bulbs but you will want to double check your bulbs. Some are made for horizontal use and some are made for vertical.

Now as to the amount of light you get a good reflector will give you more light than a bad reflector, but a vertical reflector will concentrate the light in a smaller area so if the reflectors are of similar quality, a vertical setup will give brighter light but in a much smaller area. The horizontal reflector (unless you get a very good one, like the Lumen Brights or Lumenarcs, will spread the light over a much larger area so the light is not as bright, plus they do not reflect any of the light that makes it out of the ends of the bulb. Normally for our tanks unless you have a tall thin tank like a hex the horizontal setups are much better, and if you get the good reflectors lumen brights, the horizontal is as good as the vertical with better light spread.

Kim

Jah2707
01/21/2008, 04:51 PM
Wow, Thanks, I guess you answered my questions. I have a hex tank so I don't need the light to spread out. I think I will stick with what I have. I will just need to make the hood a little taller to cover the entire light. thanks again for your help.

I have been able to keep sps in this tank without a problem so I am getting enough light.