PDA

View Full Version : Niger Red Teeth Experience

FishyMel
01/21/2008, 07:50 PM
If anyine is interested, nigers teeth will turn red in captivity. When I purchased niger this year he was 3 inches and had orange teeth. Over the past 2 monthes he has become a 5 inch terror and his teeth have turned bright red. I would take a pic but he is to skiddish and fast for my camera. The higher is agression the brighter red his teeth turn, like pinnochio lying.

Absint Reefer
01/22/2008, 12:32 AM
mine did also, do they continually grow like puffers teeth?

FishyMel
01/22/2008, 05:40 AM
Yes, I've seen them on the internet with 1/4 inch long fangs. Is yours a terror?

Titan*69
01/22/2008, 09:32 AM
Mine is near 10" and they're still like a coffee drinking smokers, brown and yellow.

Usually the redness comes at full maturaty, at least the ones I've seen.

Puffalicious
01/22/2008, 09:40 AM
FishyMel, you are scaring me. I'm thinking of getting a Niger with others in a 120g and I hope mine is not a terror like yours. What has he killed?

46bfinGA
01/22/2008, 12:28 PM
I have had two Nigers in the past and actually plan on several in my 600 once it is up and running. Both of the ones I have had have shown aggression towards other fish. Especially if they had allready claimed their territory before the new fish was put in the tank. I tried moving the rock around with this new Niger I have now and still the same aggression.

FishyMel
01/22/2008, 05:58 PM
He hasn't killed anything yet only shredded all my fishs' fins. I thought red teeth were maturity too but not after this guy.

Absint Reefer
01/23/2008, 07:20 AM
mine dose not bother anything really but he also has a lot of space I only have 3 fish that really swim around in a 150gl

mattsilvester
01/23/2008, 07:30 AM
Puffalicious - you know when people say (after someone has gone wrong) "no one told me, I wish some one had said......" - well a niger trigger is going to get at least 10"..... AT LEAST..... and should get a good deal bigger, and they bolt around the place like a 'fart in a bottle'..... that would be the disqualifiying factor for me, if I were thinking of adding a niger trigger to a 120gal tank - not the potential aggression.......

With that in mind you may (or may not) decide against the species :) ....... just FYI.

Puffalicious
01/23/2008, 11:47 AM
^ yeah I'm kinda thinking about it now, I might just get something mellower like the blue throat

kirkaz
01/23/2008, 03:46 PM
My understanding was that only males develop the bright red teeth...Ever heard that?

FishyMel
01/23/2008, 07:24 PM
Yes, I've heard everything from only red sea nigers to only 8 inch+ nigers to only male nigers. I'm not sure which if any are true.

Do you think the aggression will decrease if my emperor will give him the throne? I'm trying to decide when it is time aggression wise to take all the rocks out to pull him. I think taking 150 lbs of lr and putting it back in would be extremely stressful.

kirkaz
01/23/2008, 08:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11671690#post11671690 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FishyMel
Do you think the aggression will decrease if my emperor will give him the throne? I'm trying to decide when it is time aggression wise to take all the rocks out to pull him. I think taking 150 lbs of lr and putting it back in would be extremely stressful.

Hmm, interesting question, in my last tank my Niger was the "2nd in charge", I had a slightly larger much more established Achilles that kept him in check, had he not been there I think the Niger would have been a terror. Niger (named Fang) was about 7+ inches and had very red teeth.

Great pic in your avatar BTW Mel.

BigH55
01/23/2008, 10:21 PM
Thats the blood from the other fish makin them teeths red. JK