PDA

View Full Version : I need help...

jade2122
01/22/2008, 06:37 AM
Alright, so my whole weekend was spent setting up my new 90 gallon tank. After spending many hours getting my plumbing just how I wanted it and glueing it all in place, last night it was time to turn on the tank..and wouldn't you know, leaks! There are about 3 spots in the pvc that are leaking and then both my bulkheads are leaking. Does pvc cement go bad? Had mine for about 8 months.. Ok so what can I do now? Is there a way to fix the leaks without redoing all the plumbing? My poor fish are in a bucket for the 3rd day now, and corals in my holding tanks..gotta figure out something soon...help!

jade2122
01/22/2008, 09:13 AM
anyone able to give help or advice?

alpine
01/22/2008, 10:35 AM
Actually I have had that problem before with old pvc cement.Not sure if you can save it,but personally I would just redo the parts that are leaking.
Also are you making sure to give your pipes and fittings a 1/4in. twist when glueing them together? What part of your bulkheads are leaking?Remember the gasket should be on the inside of the tank and not the outside.Also some people like to use silicone on the bulkhead gasket.Thats definately asking for a leak,as the silicone doesnt let the gasket seat right.

HTH

Vinnie71975
01/22/2008, 10:40 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11657896#post11657896 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jade2122
Alright, so my whole weekend was spent setting up my new 90 gallon tank. After spending many hours getting my plumbing just how I wanted it and glueing it all in place, last night it was time to turn on the tank..and wouldn't you know, leaks! There are about 3 spots in the pvc that are leaking and then both my bulkheads are leaking. Does pvc cement go bad? Had mine for about 8 months.. Ok so what can I do now? Is there a way to fix the leaks without redoing all the plumbing? My poor fish are in a bucket for the 3rd day now, and corals in my holding tanks..gotta figure out something soon...help! Aquarium Grade Silicone Sealant!

Percula9
01/24/2008, 09:27 PM
Did you use primer first and then glue?

kgross
01/24/2008, 10:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11658934#post11658934 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by alpine
[BWhat part of your bulkheads are leaking?Remember the gasket should be on the inside of the tank and not the outside.Also some people like to use silicone on the bulkhead gasket.Thats definately asking for a leak,as the silicone doesnt let the gasket seat right.

HTH [/B]

The gasket goes against the flange, which can be inside or outside of the tank.

The silicone is bad on the gasket though it will make it slide out of the joint.

Kim

vdKroon
01/24/2008, 10:43 PM
I don't know if, in fact, this product exists in USA, but, here in Spain, we've used what it's called (something like) 'Teflon Paste'. It's a sort of liquid teflon, very easily appliable to all threaded joints to prevent this kind of issues. It's removable, and it hardens (is this a word?) in a couple of hours strong enough to assure a 3 bar pressure operation.. (16 bar after 24 hours 'cure' timespan)