PDA

View Full Version : Pairing a Maroon gold stripe with a Maroon white stripe...

livingcorals
01/22/2008, 02:44 PM
I have a Maroon gold strip that is about 3in. Had her for 1yr and was
thinking if it would work if I got a small 1in Maroon white stripe to breed.

Any ideas or thoughts on this?

Quickcord
01/22/2008, 03:09 PM
You can do it, but Maroons are hard to pair. Best bet is to get a clear plastic box with holes in it. Place the little guy in the box, then put the box in the tank so the female can see him but not get to him. More often the not, if you dump the smaller fish in the tank, the large female will beat him up. Might even kill him.

Some others have more experience and will be adding their input or do a search for Pairing Maroons.

Quickcord

CT Clownfish
01/22/2008, 08:53 PM
I have done this, but the other way around. Had wsm,added a small gsm. If you have a lot of live rock to give the little guy places to hide that would help. It will take a while before your old clown pairs up. And it will look like she is going to kill him. But for me after about a month or so the little guy was hanging out in the BTA with the female.
I have also done it kind of like quickcord said, both work.

davocean
01/22/2008, 11:03 PM
I paired my female WSM w/ a GSM.
I highly rec using spec container for about 3 days and watch for submissive dance.
Even w/ spec container I had 2 failed attempts, one WSM, one GSM.
3rd try I could tell right away she was ready to accept mate.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e141/mermail/Tankupdate0807026.jpg

Shawn D
01/22/2008, 11:15 PM
I paired my gsm that was about 3.5 in with a 3/4 in wsm and it worked really well I just followed this http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=215098

timrandlerv10
01/22/2008, 11:21 PM
Davocean i love that picture...now will you come excavate my new garage footings?

:)

livingcorals
01/22/2008, 11:55 PM
I just put the little guy in but I did use the box in idea. Only did it for 4hrs but the odd thing was. The female went after him for 30mins than that was it. There about 10in apart and she is not really going after him. Will see what happens. If anything gets bad i'll put him back into the glass box.

Thank you!!

Bud's Reef
01/23/2008, 10:10 AM
I used a Critter Keeper with holes drilled in it for a few days and then made a box out of egg crate. The male could swim in and out of it but the female was too large to get in it. It took about a week before he would come out and swim with the female, then I took the box out.

davocean
01/23/2008, 07:01 PM
Timrandlerv, my license is only good in CA!LOL
Sounds like it may be working out for you Lcorals.
It's usually pretty obvious when female rejects.
Mine killed the first 2 b4 I could even get a net.
And weird that the 3rd she never attacked at all, go figure.

livingcorals
01/23/2008, 08:29 PM
Well its been a few days and the female and the little guy are partners. Around each other about 80% of the time now with no problems. I'm just in WOW!
From the reading about it I lucked out!

davocean
01/23/2008, 09:21 PM
Sometimes better to be lucky than good!LOL

Here's my male doing his "nemo" look
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e141/mermail/1107update018.jpg