PDA

View Full Version : Critisize my setup! The more the better!

dstoneburg
01/22/2008, 09:31 PM
I just picked up a ViaAqua 780 nano display( http://www.commodityaxis.com/ProductData.aspx?id=37 ) Locally.
The gentlemen upgraded the stock lighting to a pendant light that has a quad bulb PC 96 watt.

What kind of corals could I keep under this light? And what kind could I NOT keep under this light? It seemed very bright when I saw it in person.
Im mostly interested in 1-2 torts, hammer/zoas/yumas/rics/frogspawn/Candycanes.

How far would you reccomend the lights be raised off the water? Should I add an acrylic top and set it right on top? Or do an eggcrate top and set it on top of that? Or add mounting brackets and lift it off?

Agu
01/22/2008, 09:54 PM
Not sure what you mean by "torts" but the other corals should be fine under that lighting.

Best choice is to have it suspended about 4" off the water. Any lower and the salt creep is a problem, any higher and you're wasting light. The light should have a plexi shield and that's all you need.

drparker
01/22/2008, 09:55 PM
dstoneburg,

Do you know what the configuration of the bulb is, 10k only or 10k plus blue? Do you know how old? I'd plan or replacing the bulb as they should be replaced every 6 months to a year.

Do not put a solid sheet of acrylic over your tank. I do use egg crate or light diffuser as my tank covers.

I say raise the light 3 to 5 inches.

dstoneburg
01/22/2008, 09:58 PM
Its a brand new bulb, was $40. I believe is 10k plus blue. By tort I meant like the oregon tort and things like that. Thanks for the responeses guys! So I just wont be able to do clams or torts? Anything else im limited in keeping?

Agu
01/22/2008, 10:04 PM
SPS and clams are marginal under that lamp. I don't settle for marginal when LPS and softies can be exceptional under that lighting.

dstoneburg
01/22/2008, 10:06 PM
That makes great sense.