PDA

View Full Version : What easy and low maintance corals for a 250w halide?

happyface888
01/23/2008, 12:46 AM
I have a 45g and recently upgraded to a 250w DE halide set up and I was wondering what are some good softies that can tolerate water thats not up to par.

DanInSD
01/23/2008, 02:54 PM
Why not fix your water? On a 45, just do five gallon water changes every day for a week or two, and you're done. Takes a few minutes a day.

Am I missing something?

Dan

happyface888
01/23/2008, 05:38 PM
My tanks mainly FOWL so in order to fix my water I'd have to toss some of my fish. Which I am not willing to do. So what are some easy corals that can tolerate not so perfect water?

Sk8r
01/23/2008, 05:43 PM
Mushrooms of all sorts. Zoas...but they tend to like less light.
Leathers---they're going to be a little less light tolerant. The problem is your lights are better for stony corals and the conditions [you didn't state, exactly] seem better for softies. That presents a certain quandary.
You might, however, experiment with a small frag of hammer or frogspawn [stonies] which do like higher light but which are fairly tolerant of both mushrooms and a little nitrate. If you can get corals to start uptaking some of your problem, it will reduce the total nitrate and might start making the water safer for more fussy stonies.
ANother route might be to add a pretty hefty fuge, which will sop up nitrate as well as phosphate---I think I'm right in that---and which would generally improve your water.