PDA

View Full Version : Anthias Question

wharfrat48
01/23/2008, 08:05 AM
Figured I'd post this here as well as the fish forum...

I ordered 4 lyretail Anthias from Live Aquaria which will be delivered today. I wanted to order 3 females and a male, but they were out of males so I got 4 females. Should I try to purchase a male locally and add him along with the females or should I wait for one of the females to change? I don't mind waiting, but is there a chance that I will end up with more than one male if I just add the 4 females?

Thanks

tkeracer619
01/23/2008, 08:09 AM
You would probably be fine waiting.

Make sure to look up deworming anthias. Special care is required to ensure that they stay healthy. If not treated they have a high potential for bringing in pests that are hard to rid and will kill a healthy looking anthia several months down the road without warning.

Dave Cox
01/23/2008, 08:32 AM
I think you're actually better off with 4 females - one will become dominant and change to the alpha male, another may become a sub-male. Natural pecking order !

Don't worry, they change pretty quick !

LobsterOfJustice
01/23/2008, 12:17 PM
Either way should be alright... but if you introduce a male within the next week or so, you may avoid some unnecessary squabbling.

rbursek
01/23/2008, 02:45 PM
I got 1 male 2 females from Dr F&S a year ago all is fine and they make sure there fish are healthy and QT before they offer them for sale. The only place I buy LS from for that reason, that is one reason they can offer the 14 day no question gaurenttee!!!!!!!
Bob