PDA

View Full Version : Captive breeding of tangs

scubadoo2
01/23/2008, 09:18 AM
The highest achievement in reefing is not just keeping wild caught things you buy, alive, but learning how to breed and reproduce them. Then it is A sustainable hobby. And you can make some spare change too!

[url]http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1278285[url]

Quoting Ken's comment from this the thread listed above, has anyone their been any progress in the captive breeding of tangs?
I always heard that the eggs were too small to collect, and when they spawn, they release into the water column, and the fertilized egss drift away in the current.

We need someone to place a school of tangs into about a 1000gal. aquarium, and see what happens:D

Doug

a1amap
01/23/2008, 09:47 AM
You foot the bill I will try it:lol: :lol:

tydtran
01/23/2008, 10:47 AM
It's an interesting question. At atlantis marine world on Long Island, they have a 20000 gallon tank with schools of blue hippo, yellow, and purple tangs. At least 20-30 of each type. Yet no spawning events that I know of. Why don't tangs spawn in our tanks??

mech0522
01/23/2008, 10:55 AM
what u guys think about doing cardinals ????

a1amap
01/23/2008, 02:48 PM
Ken has done cardnals before. Maybe we can get him to put a topic together for a meeting. See what it would take.

kaptken
01/23/2008, 10:16 PM
the Bangai Cardinals are relatively easy to breed and raise, with a few hitches. They are mouth brooders like mollies. Dad does all the work while Mom skips around and plays. I think the PJ cardinal might be as well.

Yup, theres a lot of wide open ground to explore when it comes to captive breeding saltwater fish and critters. Ive seen stomatella spawning in the tank. the female gets up above the bottom rock and sprays eggs into the water and the down stream male dusts them with a cloud as they pass by. circular flow in the tank seems to help as Im sure there is some pheremone signalling going on as to intentions.