PDA

View Full Version : Yellow spots on Toadstool

GustavoAZ
01/23/2008, 10:14 AM
http://members.cox.net/gustavoaz/P1150018.JPG

Recently got this toadstool in a trade, for about a week the polyps were all extended and looked great. It developed yellow spots on the top (sorry for the terrible pic) and the polyps will not extend. Tryed moving it around the tank with no change. The yellow spotting has now almost taken over.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

tinyreef
01/24/2008, 02:49 PM
i've seen that sometimes as evidence of salt grains falling on the cap (i.e. salt creep falling into the tank) and also as random pieces of detritus that stayed too long on top of the cap.

the yellowing at the base is interesting too. sometimes normal but sometimes a sign of infection internally.

the two instances together are suspicious.

how does the sarco feel and act? if firm, is it normally firm? if soft, is it normally soft? are the polyps extending and retracting normally (i.e. at the appropriate times and lengths of time)?

any recent additions or changes to the tank that might coincide with the yellowing spots? coral, fish, inverts, plants, different flow patterns, new pumps, new salt, etc.

GustavoAZ
01/28/2008, 09:25 AM
I'm not sure what the sacro is, I'll have to look it up. The top is pretty firm, like leathery, the base seams soft. The only things I have added are a colt coral and a small frag of zoos. The polyps will not longer extend. It's still upright and the yellow spots have slowed down but now I'm noticing them on the base aswell.

tinyreef
01/28/2008, 09:56 AM
from that pic and the (guess) young age of the sarco it's not obvious enough to guess (even further) the species.

while species ID wouldn't explain the yellowing it would help in determining whatever texture/firmness being "normal" or not, i don't think it's super-critical to need to know. i'd guess between 3~4 species at this point, the softness of the base is the only thing that is unusual among those possibilities though.

you might want to waterchange and add a little carbon filtration temporarily (or change it now if you normally use carbon) to deal with any emission issues.

if the coral is upright and not overtly shedding en masse it may have passed the "irritant" stage/issue. and is just trying to re-establish normal life.

GustavoAZ
01/28/2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the info.

GustavoAZ
01/31/2008, 12:27 PM
Yellow spotting is slowly going away and polyps are starting to extend again, looks like flow and some time in a new tank is what it needed.

icechimpee
01/31/2008, 03:11 PM
Good to hear. Have any new pictures?