PDA

View Full Version : Euro reef 135 noisy and sensitive to adjustment

marc nichols
01/23/2008, 09:51 PM
I love my Euro reef but it's sensitivity and noise are sometimes frustrating. When I shut down the skimmer to clean the cup, I have to fuss with the air control tube (the large diameter tube running to the top height of the skimmer) to eliminate a loud gurgle, like water in the bottom of a scuba snorkle. The balance has to be just so to not overflow the skimmer cup and to also eliminate the noise.

Also, if I shut down my pumps for feeding and water level rises in the sump, the skimmer overflows.

I have negligable resistance through a muffler I modded on the air inlet.

Water level is 7.5", right in the ballpark with ER recommendations.

Any suggestions?

flipteg
01/23/2008, 10:22 PM
i've had the same problems with my Octopus recirculating skimmer which uses the same wedge pipe to control the output of water... you really have to provide the skimmer with a constant water level... if the water level only rises if the return pump is off, just turn off the skimmer everytime you turn off the return pump... that's what i did... i plugged the skimmer and the return pump on the same splitter...

as for the gurgling noise, i assume that you have the output of the skimmer completely submerged under water... you have to vent the piece of piping that is between the T connector and the output itself... i tried putting another T but i kept getting a flushing sound... what i did was i just cut the output pipe short enough so that part of the opening is under water, but the other part is out of the water...