PDA

View Full Version : Spa flex = Flexible PVC?

Bud's Reef
01/24/2008, 09:32 AM
Is Spa flex and flexible pvc the same thing? I see a very wide swing in prices from different vendors and some call it Spa flex and some call it flexible PVC. I know you can glue the fexible pvc and if spa flex is the same thing I assume you can glue it as well. Can you also use it on a barb connection? Thanks for any inputs.

Dave VG
01/24/2008, 11:28 AM
I used Spa flex and glued it to pvc fitings with pvc glue worked like a charm.

kdblove_99
01/24/2008, 12:00 PM
Yeah, same. But some flexible tubing might be clear also. Get the white spa flex Savko has it for pretty darn cheap

Jefe12234
01/24/2008, 12:16 PM
It's meant to be used with PVC fittings, not hose barbs. Also, it's not as flexible as vinyl tubing so you may still need to use elbow fittings to make tighter curves.

jnarowe
01/24/2008, 12:36 PM
The Answer is No. There are products sold as "Spa-Flex" that are not flexible PVC. There is a big difference in the gluing properties. You must make sure you are getting flexible PVC when you buy it. SAVKO has it as well as http://www.flexpvc.com/. Lowe's and HD usually have a limited supply of it as well, but you must be careful when you purchase it.

I accidently got the wrong stuff from Customa while back and they had no idea they had the wrong one because they look very similar.

Dave VG
01/24/2008, 01:14 PM
jnarowe, I used Spa-Flex and PVC fittings as stated above and it worked for me. As a mater of fact that is the glue the sales person at lowes told me to use. I have had no problems at all.

DanInSD
01/24/2008, 01:16 PM
There is special glue for flexible PVC. Make sure you use the right stuff.

Dan

jnarowe
01/24/2008, 02:07 PM
Dave, my comments were to Bud's Reef. He asked a very specific question and I answered it. Just because you used something that was sold as "Spa-Flex" and it worked doesn't mean that they all will. That was my whole point. There are multiple products being sold under that name, and they have different blends of plastic, vinyl, and rubber.

twolfe98
01/24/2008, 02:51 PM
jnarowe is correct. not all fittings may attach if its ment for barbed fittings vs. fitting inside a "t" or 90. I dismiss everything i hear from people at lowes any ways.

Bud's Reef
01/24/2008, 03:46 PM
Ok, so I'm clear, the stuff from Savko, called either spa flex or flexible pvc is what I need? Since it is going to be glued to pvc fittings will the purple primer and regular pvc cement work?

jnarowe
01/24/2008, 05:31 PM
You can call SAVKO and be specific about what you want. And with the real flexible PVC, regular PVC glue works well. I did not use the primer myself, but did use a clear PVC cleaner and clear PVC cement.

bdif
01/24/2008, 05:42 PM
also, make sure you get flexible PVC PIPE, not flexible PVC hose. The "pipe" fits sched. 40 fittings.

Dave VG
01/24/2008, 05:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11677689#post11677689 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jnarowe
Dave, my comments were to Bud's Reef

Oh so no one else could comment on it then. I thought this was an open forum and everyone had a say. We are all here to help one another. I was not saying you were wrong just commenting on my experience with lowes spa flex.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11677689#post11677689 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jnarowe
He asked a very specific question and I answered it.

Ok and your answer was the gosphol sorry.

Just because you used something that was sold as "Spa-Flex" and it worked doesn't mean that they all will. That was my whole point. There are multiple products being sold under that name, and they have different blends of plastic, vinyl, and rubber.

No kidding that is why I was specific when I stated that the spa flex at lowes does work, not that all labeled as spa flex do!!

All this because I stated my experience with lowes spa flex. Go figure.

Bud's Reef go to lowes and use there spa fex you will be fine. I know of at least four other people that have used it with no problems.

jnarowe
01/24/2008, 06:02 PM
You didn't say you bought the Spa-Flex at Lowe's.

Dave VG
01/24/2008, 06:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11677272#post11677272 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dave VG
jnarowe, I used Spa-Flex and PVC fittings as stated above and it worked for me. As a mater of fact that is the glue the sales person at lowes told me to use. I have had no problems at all.

Could have been clearer I agree but did state it here. .

FranktheTankTx
01/24/2008, 06:34 PM
I could use some advice.

I DO NOT want to use hard pvc pipe. My LifeReef nano overflow box will have a 3/4" barbed fitting. But my Quiet One 3000 has a 1" fitting. I figured on running 1" line for the return. But I doubt I want to run 1" line for the return and only 3/4" for the drain.

The LifeReef Nano overflow box http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html is rated for 400gph. Can I run 1" drain line that sizes down to 3/4" at the overflow box to fit a barb fitting???

How do I make that work???

Here's what I planned on using for a return outlet http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=481 It has a 1" barb fitting as well.

So, would flex pvc not work in my case??? How do I make this work?

BlakDuc
01/24/2008, 07:07 PM
If you are using barbed fittings, just use the black or clear viynl tubing. For barbed fittings, spa flex doesn't work well IMO.

FranktheTankTx
01/24/2008, 07:48 PM
Ok... that's fine. However, as mentioned I have 3/4" barb fitting on the drain, and 1" fitting on the return pump. Can you, should you, run smaller drain than return? Can/should/how do you increase from 3/4" to 1" on the drain line after the 3/4" barb on the overflow?

Jefe12234
01/24/2008, 08:20 PM
Your drain line just depends on how much water you want to run through it. You can increase the plumbing size after the 3/4" bulkhead, but it won't do much good since the bulkhead is still restricting flow regardless. There's a drain/overflow size calculator on the homepage that says a 3/4" bulkhead will allow for 330gph. That's probably a conservative estimate, but you don't want to push your luck with drains. If you want more flow than that you're going to need a bigger or additional bulkhead.

FranktheTankTx
01/24/2008, 08:49 PM
Ok, ok ok... for some reason, I'm not getting the answer to my question, I don't think.

My overflow is rated at 400gph. So if I run 3/4" drain line all the way... should I run only 3/4" return line as well? The problem is, the Quiet One 3000 has 1" outlets.

Or do I just "T" off my return line (1") and send some back to the sump and the rest to the DT?

I don't mind you talking to me like I'm an idiot at plumbing... I have plumbed a sump before, but all the drains and fittings were the same diameter. This one seems odd to me because the drain is 3/4, the pump is 1", the skimmer is 3/4" fitting, it's pump is 1". I'm baffled!!

Jefe12234
01/24/2008, 09:09 PM
Ok, your fittings don't all have to be the same size. Usually they're not. You just have to be sure that the overflow line is big enough to handle the flowrate through the sump (so there are no floods), and that the return line is big enough that it's not restricting the return pump too much. I don't know if your return line goes to a bulkhead or just up and over the back of the tank. If it goes to a bulkhead that's a different size than the pump outlet, then you'll have to put in a PVC reducer somewhere. Otherwise just leave it 1" all the way. And the only reason you might T off the return line back to the sump is if you think the pump's flowrate will exceed your overflow capacity. There's a head loss calculator on the homepage for calculating the final flowrate. Hope that answers everything, and no one here thinks you're an idiot.:)

FranktheTankTx
01/24/2008, 09:33 PM
Good information. The return would go into a U tube return outlet with 1" fitting. I would be using flex line and not hard pvc, so I guestimated about 4.5' vertical and .5' horizontal for guestimating purposes. I entered 2 90 degree elbows because I figured the U tube return outlet would encompass 2 of those... but it might actually be 3 if you count the... well, here is what I will use... http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=481 Is this ok to use???

My gph would be 524gph, which would mean it would over match my drain of 400gph.

Jefe12234
01/24/2008, 10:03 PM
In that case you will want to reduce the flow by either putting a ball valve on the return line or T'ing it off into the sump with a ball valve. And I can't tell if that U-tube is 3/4" or 1". It looks like maybe it gets wider as it goes up and you just slide the hose up farther for 1" tubing. If that's the case it should work fine. You may want a hose clamp to keep the tubing on it, but they usually work fine without them as long as it's a tight fit.

FranktheTankTx
01/24/2008, 10:09 PM
I put a ball valve on my last return pump in my sump. I wasn't sure if that was good or bad for the pump. Is it better to "T" it off and send some back to the sump... or can you just ball valve it and reduce flow to match with the drain?

As for the U Tube, you are correct I think. It's a 3/4" - 1" barb fitting.

fatrip
01/25/2008, 08:29 AM
Is Spa flex and flexible PVC the same thing? I see a very wide swing in prices from different vendors and some call it Spa flex and some call it flexible PVC. I know you can glue the flexible PVC and if spa flex is the same thing I assume you can glue it as well. Can you also use it on a barb connection? Thanks for any inputs.

In most cases yes Spa Flex is generalized name for flexible PVC tubing. there are three main types of tubing that you will see labeled as Spa Flex. The First is Flexible PVC Tubing which would be the correct product when you are talking about spa flex.
http://www.bestbuypoolsupply.com/media/Flexible%20pvc.gif

The second is Flexible Vinyl tubing which can be reinforced by PVC, it is commonly clear with what looks like white strands inside of the clear vinyl. this is the stuff you would use on your barbed fittings because it will stretch around the fitting.
http://www.par-group.co.uk/UserImages/Hose_Ducting/Tube_PVC.jpg
http://www.goodyearinternational.com/images/k2.jpg

the Third is a flexible plastic that is usually used in drains for sink and toilets, I couldnt find a picture of it on the net but it is white and extends like a bendable straw. this can be glued with PVC glue but is not meant to carry any pressurized liquids. NOT A GOOD IDEA TO USE...I found a picture of something else that is considered a PVC hose but is reinforced with metal and used for dryer hose. http://www.onefitappliances.co.uk/images/1m%20pvc.jpg

All of these products are stocked at your ocal hard ware store like home depot or lowes. If toy go to the hose section you wil see all of the different types. the strongest and most durable would be the true spa fex, flexable pvc which can be glued using PVC cement to any sch 40 or 80 pvc joint.

fatrip
01/25/2008, 08:39 AM
put a ball valve on my last return pump in my sump. I wasn't sure if that was good or bad for the pump. Is it better to "T" it off and send some back to the sump... or can you just ball valve it and reduce flow to match with the drain?

First off if they are bard fittings you are goin to be using Vinyl tubing. second i would use the PVC reinforced vinyl for your return to the tank because it is made for pressureized fluieds. What is your head hight form the pump to the top of your tank? the pump you will be using is rated for 780GPH so you would need a head hight of about 4 foot to get it under what your over flow box is rated at. if it is more that 4 foot you will be fine and in no need of a ball valve. but if it isnt i would T the output of the pump and ball valve both sides of the T with 1" ball valves.

jnarowe
01/25/2008, 09:12 AM
and then there's this:

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc77/jnarowe/CIMG3307.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc77/jnarowe/CIMG3309.jpg

It is labeled Spa-Flex but is some kind of different blend that is more flexible, has a lot more shine, feels different, bends much more, and does not glue up with PVC solvent/glues very well at all. It is very easy to mistake this for the "real" thing.

Here's a pic of the real thing:

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc77/jnarowe/CIMG3312.jpg

fatrip
01/25/2008, 10:10 AM
idk that looks exactly like flexible pvc or spa flex, some companys will make it a glossier finsh which would make it shinyer. you say more bendable, spa flex should be able to bend in a full circle if you have at least 3' piece. not sure why it wouldnt glue with pvc cement. pvc cement wil even glue acrylic as wel as vinyl tubing. did you clean the surface with an acitone or pvc cleaner before you used the glue and did you use the PVC purple primer before you used the glue? these are both esential when bonding PVC togeather, and most people dont think they are and that is why the pvc doesnt bond well or degrades after a while. also where did you get this product and was it abeled as "spa flex"?

jnarowe
01/25/2008, 10:40 AM
Nevermind. you're right fatrip. I have no idea what I am writing about. Those pics are of obviously the same products and clearly should work the same.

Lundy24
01/25/2008, 06:07 PM
I have used the stuff in the top two picture and it glued fine for me into regular PVC fittings with normal PVC glue.

sherm71tank
01/25/2008, 06:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11684639#post11684639 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jnarowe
Nevermind. you're right fatrip. I have no idea what I am writing about. Those pics are of obviously the same products and clearly should work the same.

:lol: You have more pvc in your workshop than most hardware stores! For what its worth I ended up using Flowgaurd Gold 1-step CPVC cement to go from the "shiney" spa-flex you gave me for my sump return to glue to my pvc connections. The regular glue didn't bond them together at all.

jnarowe
01/25/2008, 07:15 PM
OK, now there are two guys in this thread that are having the same delusions. :rolleyes:

sherm71tank
01/25/2008, 07:42 PM
That would be you and Lundy24!

jnarowe
01/25/2008, 07:49 PM
:lol: