PDA

View Full Version : Aiptasia treatment

pychris77
01/24/2008, 02:25 PM
I hav had a problem with Aiptasia which nothing has treated properly. I found a kind of home made video on a UK forum of a new treatment. I think it's from Red Sea but can't find any details. Apparently it works completely differently to everything I tried already. The vid looked really cool. Anyone know here I can find it to try some?

fatrip
01/24/2008, 02:33 PM
the best way i have found, and i have tryed all the other ways, is to get about 5 peppermint shrimp and they will eat them in no time. they ate my whole aiptasia forest in about 3 weeks.

NCguy
01/24/2008, 05:09 PM
Peppermint shrimp got rid of mine too.

shyland83
01/24/2008, 05:37 PM
make that 3 for peppermint shrimp

bertoni
01/24/2008, 06:32 PM
This thread has some notes I put together on Aiptasia control:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=803632

WarrenG
01/24/2008, 07:29 PM
The best part about using kalk injections to kill aptasia is getting to see them melt away.

Peppermint shrimp ate a lot of the ones that were in my tank, but not the big ones-those are for me!, and the shrimp transformed from almost translucent to a deep red.

ninjamini
01/24/2008, 08:11 PM
I hade a few of these and some corn anemonees too. I used Kalkwasser powder mixed with water. I used the plastic measurer (it is used to measure .5ml water) that came with one of the test kits. Put it right up to its mouth and slowly squirt out the kalk. It closes up around the tip and bingo! I've got ya. Keep going till its empty.

Now be warned doing this in the tank can get calk everywhere. IT tends to float around. Here is some tips:

1. Shut off the flow. LAst thing ypu need is water flow pushing the kalk over to your candycane coral.

2. Be ready with airline tubing. I create a syphin with the tubing to suckup the peices of kalk that float away. This can take awhile. It does make a mess.

3. Be ready with some fresh salt water to replace the water you syphon off.

4. rinse-repeat. If you got them you will get them again. Thats why they are the pest that they are. Have fun - You didn't think that keeping a salt water tank was going to be easy!

rpeeples
01/25/2008, 09:13 AM
I just added 10 Pep Shrimp to a 225...I tried facula butterflies and the do a nice job but they also eat your LPS and other corals after they get tired of eating the apt and majano (pesky aiptasia like little mushroom looking anemone).

I have good success with the peppers in a previous 90g. We'll see how they do.

Good luck