PDA

View Full Version : LOUD Protein Skimmer

LovinDaReef
01/24/2008, 03:30 PM
I just bought a Rio nano skimmer 110 GPH. I hooked everything up and it seems to be working for the moment, but is making a lot of noise. It seems to quiet if I hold my finger on the Venturi tube. I am thinking of plugging it with something, is it suppose to make so much noise?

Lee_Bay
01/24/2008, 03:40 PM
If you plug the venturi, it won't skim. The venturi is where the air gets sucked into the skimmer. I am sure you can buy replacement silencers, or diy one.

LovinDaReef
01/24/2008, 03:41 PM
So it was meant to be this noise? This is ridiculous.

LovinDaReef
01/24/2008, 03:42 PM
How would I DIY one? An airstone?

Also, there are a lot of air bubbles created from this thing, I suppose this is normal as well?

Lee_Bay
01/24/2008, 03:44 PM
I think I have seen one made with pvc pipe and end caps filled with foam or something. There was a thread on here at one time. Maybe someone can post the link.

LovinDaReef
01/24/2008, 03:45 PM
I may just return the damn thing and get a normal HOB...

Lee_Bay
01/24/2008, 03:47 PM
Any skimmer with a venturi is gonna have that "suckin' air" noise because that's what it is doing, sucking air into the venturi to make bubbles. most come with a silencer.

LovinDaReef
01/24/2008, 04:06 PM
Ok I at least minimized the sound by messing with the venturi tube. I unscrewed the bottom part and pushed it in a few cm, and the noise decreased to comforrtable levels. This was nowhere in the manual provided... Never getting anything by Rio again.

ganjero
01/24/2008, 04:10 PM
Just build a DIY silencer and the noise will be completely gone

LovinDaReef
01/24/2008, 04:24 PM
I usually can do it myself, but I know nothing about what to start with this DIY silencer... little help please?

barjam
01/24/2008, 04:26 PM
I haven't build one but most are just a small container with foam/cotton. Put one end of the airline in that and put a hole on the otherside.... more or less.

tpenn187
01/24/2008, 04:36 PM
i have heard of someone using an old film container, then connect your venturi tube to one side of it stuff it with a little cotton or paper towel, such as barjam said, and make a hole on the other end, this will silence it for the most part. if it is making noise with out the silencer connected to the venturi tube it means it is working, so don't return it because it is loud.

ganjero
01/24/2008, 04:46 PM
like the others said get a small pill, film or whatever container, drill a hole on the bottom and a hole on the cap, put the hose coming from the pump in the bottom hole, fill the container with cotton or toilet paper. Put a small piece of hose on the cap and then close the container, and the noise should disappear.

LovinDaReef
01/24/2008, 04:46 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys! I will try one with some airlinne tubing and cotton, or the film canister idea seems good too.

flat broke
01/24/2008, 06:15 PM
Don't use cotton. Use a polyester based product like like polyfill or filterfloss. The reason being is that the cotton will absorb any ambient moisture, and since there is plenty of that in the air around a tank, eventually air wouldn't be able to pass through the wet/damp cotton.

Chris

davocean
01/24/2008, 08:32 PM
My opinion is even if you get noise level down, you may not be happy w/ skim.
RIO sucks, plain and simple.
I'll never put anything RIO in my tank.
If you really think you can return it I would.
If not, check for mods and make the most of it.