PDA

View Full Version : nosey Peacock

Trizzot
01/24/2008, 04:36 PM
I have a Peacock about 8" in length. I have had "Mr Krabs" for 2 years now. He is in his own 46 Bowfront acrylic, where he rules. He has no tankmates currently. Lately Im having a problem with him. Whenever anyone enters the room, he comes right out of his cavity and follows them around the room from inside his tank. He demands attention. If he is ignored, he starts pounding with his fists of fury on the tank front. I have a feeling its just a matter of time until he causes real damage. he is well fed with a variety of crabs, snails, shrimp, krill and garlic scalops. Is there any reason for this sudden need for attention? and if so what can I do? Is he looking for a mate? Im confused and need help. Dr Roy, any ideas?

justinl
01/24/2008, 10:20 PM
If it were me, I would think it was cool more than anything else. If you're worried about it breaking through the acrylic, dont. btw, the last thing you want to do is try to mate it. You will likely end up with two carcasses.

Gonodactylus
01/25/2008, 09:19 AM
I've had several large O. s that this this. They have learned to associate people with food. I suppose you could try some negative reinforcement, but it is not very effective with stomatopods. Striking the acrylic will cause a lot of small dents with time, but the tank is very unlikely to fail.

Roy

Tylt33
01/25/2008, 08:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11684073#post11684073 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gonodactylus
I've had several large O. s that this this. They have learned to associate people with food. I suppose you could try some negative reinforcement, but it is not very effective with stomatopods. Striking the acrylic will cause a lot of small dents with time, but the tank is very unlikely to fail.

Roy

Negative reinforcement? He doesn't want to strengthen the behavior! I'd try extinction :p Just teasin' ya doc :D